Hansons Weeks 1-5

Today I officially completed the first 4 weeks of the Hansons Marathon Method Beginner plan. The first 5 weeks are basically base building weeks, and I have been using them to build back up my mileage after running a half marathon about 6 weeks ago. I used Hansons Half Marathon Method Beginner plan for my half marathon, and took 6 minutes off of my half time which was pretty impressive and sold me on Hansons. I had been on the fence about whether or not I wanted to use Hansons or Daniels Running Formula, which is another popular marathon plan. I read both books, and decided I would use Hansons for my spring half marathon and see how I liked it and whether or not I could commit to it for my fall marathon.

In previous posts I had alluded to the fact that I was not happy with my first marathon time, and I really wanted to commit to getting faster. Granted I will never be a fast runner who wins an age group, however after reading a lot about marathons I understood that part of improving your time was to run more miles, and focus on speedwork. Both of these things had been lacking with the first plan I used (Higdon) and I had heard countless testimonials regarding Hansons and how it was pretty common for second time marathoners to improve using this program. The name of the book, "A Renegade Path to Your Fastest Marathon", is indeed no joke. While I certainly cursed the half plan at times, it definitely helped me run my fastest half marathon so I had officially become part of the cult. I joined the private facebook group where I could complain and celebrate with others experiencing the same things as myself, and receive advice from Luke Humphrey himself.

6 min PR at the Great Western Trail Half Marathon

For those unfamiliar with Hansons, it is based upon the cumulative fatigue effect that brothers Keith and Kevin Hanson with Luke Humphrey use to coach their Hansons-Brooks elites. Unlike Hidgon (and just about every other plan), there is no 18 or 20 or 22 mile runs. While 16 miles is the longest run you will ever do, the plan is far more difficult than others because rather than running 16 miles on fresh legs, the long run is your last run of the week that you are doing on tired legs. The long run simulates the last 16 miles of the marathon, and not the first. From my experience with the half marathon, this principle sure does work. For the first time in my running life, I ran a half without ever feeling tired. My legs were used to feeling fatigued and the last 5k of the half were my fastest 3 miles of the race. I did not hit the wall, and I never slowed down. This is drastically different from the Higdon plan I used for my first marathon. While I firmly believe that Hidgon was the best plan for my first marathon, I do not think it adequately prepared me for the distance that is the marathon. I used to run my long runs on Saturdays, and would take an easy or rest day the day before. I would head out on fresh legs, and while each run was important in preparing for the marathon, it never really prepared me for the fatigue that sets in later in the race. I also never did speed or tempo runs. I ran every run exactly the same. I told myself it was ok to run slowly all the time, so that I would not feel too fatigued. Hansons on the other hand, devotes each Tuesday to Speed and Strength, and Thursdays to Tempo runs. These runs focus on speed and race pace, which are two important factors to running a marathon that I had neglected, I thought that simply putting in the miles would prepare me enough for the race, but I never practiced holding to race pace (a tempo run), or getting faster (speed and strength). Having worked on both of these using the half plan, I can attest to getting both faster and holding to race pace with this method.

Some worry that never running beyond 16 miles is not enough to prepare for the marathon. And for a first timer, I think that might be true. While 16 is just a number, so is 18 and 20, and so on. The first time around, I needed to know I could run these miles because it made me realize that running 26 was attainable. Mentally I needed it, however I know now that I can do it and having run a 20 miler did not help me finish the marathon any faster. Personally I do think that a first time marathoner should run longer distances so mentally he or she feels as if it is achievable. However, I can tell you that it will not determine how you will do during the race. I hit the wall around mile 14/15 of my marathon, and it did not matter how well my 18 and 20 miler had gone.

Now as I approach week 6, the base building miles lead to speedwork and tempo runs. I am half dreading them because I know the feelings of exhaustion and pain they bring, but I also know the benefits. The last 6 weeks since my half have been a great time to rest and come back to training feeling ready and excited for the marathon. I was running about 30 mpw at the peak of my half training, but have dropped down to about 15-20 the last few weeks. I normally do not take so much time off running, but this time it was definitely necessary to physically and mentally prepare me for the next 13 weeks. I have put a lot of thought into the time I would like for the marathon, and have my paces for the speedwork and tempo set. These past few weeks have been fun, but it's time to get to work!

Bring it on, marathon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running