McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

The last few weeks since the GRT 50k have been full of rest and active recovery. They have also provided me with time to go back and review my training, think about what worked well and what didn't, and look forward to the next training cycle. There is a definitely lack of solid 50k training plans available, so I think it is important to share my thoughts on the McMillan 50k plan so others may decide if it might be right for them.

The McMillan 50k plan is the second 50k training plan that I have used. After using the Krissy Moehl book for my first ultramarathon, I knew I wanted something a bit more tailored to me. Having used McMillan for the 2017 Chicago Marathon and enjoying the structure of the plan, I reached out to them regarding a custom 50k training plan. I think it is important to note that the plan I received was completely tailored to me, and took into account my race history, goals, and personal preferences. Therefore this was not a "one size fits all" type of plan and naturally the plan worked well for me because it was made for me. Along with the custom plan, I also followed the McMillan Prehab, Strength, and Core programs. I completed the Strength and Core programs 2 times a week after runs, and completed each week's Prehab exercise before my runs.

Strength work

Worked Well
  • Running by time: As mentioned in my Miles vs Time post, this plan was based upon miles vs time. Originally this mentality was difficult to switch to, however I am now a time-based plan convert. Running by time helped me balance my weekly time on feet, and took the focus away from a specific pace and more to running by feel. 
  • Devoting one day a week to strength work: In the past I have used plans that had me running 5 or 6 days a week, and I would usually start to feel burnt out or would feel the niggles of injury start to appear. This plan had me running 4 days with 1 day devoted to strength training. I really enjoyed having a day where I could focus on yoga and strength work which made me appreciate my running days even more. Especially throughout the never ending winter, it was nice to stay indoors and do a non-running activity.
  • Hill workouts: I've done hill workouts in the past, however I appreciated the structure of these workouts and felt that overall, I was more prepared for hills than in the past. Granted the hills of the GRT 50k were nothing like what I had trained on, this area that was lacking for me certainly improved.
  • Injury-free: No injuries for me this cycle! While I started off the training program with a touch of runners knee, this dissipated a few weeks in and I attribute this to the fewer days of running as well as the Core and Strength programs. There were many times I really did not feel like having to do these exercises after a run, but I am glad I made them a part of my routine as I feel that they helped address imbalances I had and helped me utilize my core and glutes more than I had in the past. 
  • Overall Mileage: I struggled initially with comparison to others as well as the mileage in my previous plans. I think a lot of people believe that running more equals a better result. While there is no doubt that to run endurance races you need to run a lot, but there is a fine line between balance and over training. I came to understand this during the course of my plan where I was certainly balancing a fine line between too much and just enough. Looking back I believe that the mileage and time on feet was right for me (obviously taken into account by my coach), and I was sufficiently prepared for the 50k without becoming injured or over trained.
Not steep enough for the GRT!
Challenges
  • Pacing: While there were a few fast finish long runs in my training plan, I struggled with these and ultimately could have used more runs that focused on stamina towards the end of long runs which would prepare me to not fade during a race. 
  • Strength and Core Work: While these also worked well for me, I did not enjoy them. I found a lot of the work very redundant and boring, and many days I will admit to not fully committing to what I was doing. I find these exercises important, however I wish McMillan would switch up some of the exercises over time or provide new routines as they tend to get boring.
Ultimately I also enjoyed having recovery weeks every 3 weeks, which was similar to the previous plan I used, and I also enjoyed the speedwork that helped break up a lot of the easy runs and recovery runs. I appreciate that my coach took into account the types of runs I enjoy doing so there were very few runs that I dreaded doing. The back to back runs were the most difficult and ones that I would not look forward to, however these proved to be the most beneficial in increasing my stamina as well as mentally helping me realize what my body could do even under extreme fatigue. 

Having gone through this experience I definitely am a fan of working with a coach and receiving a custom plan if it is something that fits in your budget. The McMillan training as a whole has really worked for me for endurance races, and I will always recommend the plans to others, even if a custom plan or coach is not within budget or interest.

Custom plan

Comments

  1. This Is An Excellent Post I Seen. I Have To Thanks To You To Share It It Is Really What I Wanted To See Hope In Future You Will Continue For Sharing.
    Prehab Exercise

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

I Will Always Have Running