Miles vs Time

The most frequent question I receive when talking about my training is running by time vs miles. I thought this topic warranted it's own post since I have a lot to say!

Most traditional training plans are based upon mileage, with weekly mileage increasing throughout the duration of a training plan. When training for a longer race such as a half or full marathon, this makes sense as a runner is able to run longer as the week's progress, often focusing on a specific pace or time goal for the race. 

Enter the trail race. While races vary, trails are not flat and vary in terrain. The concept of a "tempo" run or training for a specific time no longer matters as much, as one's pace will vary depending on the terrain. It is hard to hold to a specific pace for every single mile of a trail race as some miles may be flat while others climb in elevation. What is nice about this is that with proper training, it all balances out. Some miles might be slower due to hills and elevation, while others are faster when running the flats or downhills. It is certainly possible to train for a specific goal time or to keep within the cut-off requirements, but there is less focus on a time per mile and more focus on an overall time. This is especially true in longer races such as an ultra marathon. Each runner usually ebbs and flows through "good" and "bad" miles, with hopefully enough "good" miles to make up for those that are not so great. 

ahhhh a downhill!

Which is why when I received my custom McMillan 50k plan from my coach, I didn't freak out at the fact that there was no weekly mileage, and all runs were by time. Having now made it through almost 9 weeks of training, here are the pros and cons of running by time:

Pros:
  • Easy runs stay easy: One of the aspects of training that I have always struggled with are the easy runs. Especially when I am limited on time and need to get a run in before work, I would notoriously go out and run X miles as quickly as I could to get to work. Running by time helps take the pressure off of completing a certain number of miles, and shifts the focus to a time commitment. It is a lot easy for me to tell myself I have 40 minutes to run vs having to run 5 miles. 
  • Flexibility: All of my scheduled runs contain a range of time that I must run in, such as 75-90 minutes, 3 to 4 hours. This gives me the flexibility to complete what I have time for, as well as control my overall mileage for the week. This also shifts the focus to listening to my body. If I am tired after a 3 hour run, I can choose to run on the lower or higher side of the range the next day. 
  • Pace matters less: As a slower runner, I used to struggle with traditional plans as they were often designed for people who could cover miles faster. This was especially true with the Hansons plan I followed. I still believe that is a great plan, but running a 10 mile tempo with a warm up and cool down in the middle of the week is not something that is easily achieved by a slower runner. Running by time takes pace out of the equation and focuses on time on feet. Even if I don't cover as many miles in an hour as a Boston qualifier, I am still on my feet just the same.
Cons:
  • Weekly Mileage: Those that enjoy focusing on their weekly mileage may not enjoy a plan where the mileage is unknown. While I find running by time to be a nice way to let mileage progress naturally, as well as ebb and flow with the training, it is hard to move away from this mentality if it is something that is important to you.
  • Even Miles: Similarly, if you are someone that struggles with finishing a run as 5.90 miles rather than 6, you may struggle with running by time. While I admit that I still struggle with this, it is rather liberating to stop my watch at uneven mileage. There is no rule that says you have to run even miles and for so long I would run longer than I probably should, especially on easy running days just to complete a certain mileage. I have enjoyed training my brain to think differently, but this may be really hard for some. 
These are certainly my own thoughts and experiences based upon running by time vs miles and it is not for everyone. I have really enjoyed running this way and I find it suits my strengths, however it may not be the best plan for everyone. I do think that for those who get wrapped up in strict weekly miles and paces that it can be a nice way to shift the focus to intuitive running and allow more flexibility. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic and what has worked well for you. Additionally if there are any other things you'd love to know about ultra marathon training, ask away and I may feature your question as a post!

Comments

  1. I loved that you covered the great debate of miles over time! I absolutely agree that running by time allows you to run your easy days easy. On that note though I some days hated that I couldn't make my run go faster! It really teaches you to run with control better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, especially when the time is on the treadmill and it ticks away so slowly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running