Lessons from a first marathon

It is hard to believe that this time last year, I was starting to train for my first marathon. I had no idea what to expect, and just like those who have given birth, you really don't know what something is like until you experience it yourself.

Yes, I am the fool wearing shorts in October in Michigan. Lesson learned.

Overall, I had a great first marathon experience. I read the books, followed a plan to a "t", listened to advice from experienced marathoners and was as prepared as I could be. I did not go into the race with a time goal and I knew that it would hurt and be one of the most difficult things I had ever done. I chose a race that I felt I would enjoy - one that did not have a time limit and a course that included a trail portion. I crossed the finish line and I had never felt more proud of myself. No one had done it for me - I did it myself, with weeks of hard training and dedication. I enjoyed my achievement, but I could not help by reflect on my performance. I knew that it would not be the last marathon that I ran. I wanted to do better.

I finished! 

I ran a marathon, which is something that most people never believe they can do or will ever do. It is true that unless you push yourself outside of your comfort zone, you never know what you are capable of. Because I ran a marathon, I know that I am stronger than I think. I know that I can accomplish things when I set my mind to them. I know the value of hard work and that it does pay off. There was a moment in the race where I felt pain in parts of my legs I had never felt pain. It hurt to run, it hurt to walk. Others around me were walking, staggering, and stopping. They say that you have to run with your heart, and despite my body giving out, I kept running because I wanted it enough. I was running more slowly than I probably ever had, yet I kept running and slowly passing people around me who were faltering. It truly was mind over matter. I repeated to myself, "I want it, I want it", and what I wanted was to finish. I knew that despite the pain and my body failing me, I wanted it enough to keep moving. That is a moment that will stay with me forever. I have run a few races since then, and when I start to feel tired or not where I should be mentally, I think about that moment and realize what I am capable of.

Nevertheless, I finished much longer than I had ever expected. I hit the wall earlier than I thought I would. I had pain unlike any other pain I had felt before. I regretted my clothes choice as it was not ideal for an October Michigan race and I spent most of it with no feeling in my legs. I wondered if a race with little crowd support had been a good idea. I second guessed my training plan. I regretted never seeing a doctor regarding my hamstring strain, which had bothered me for months.

Rather than dwell on it, I have learned my lessons and moved on....to running the BOA Chicago Marathon on October 9, 2016! I can put into practice some of the things I have learned and hopefully beat my previous time by 20 minutes. I know what to expect now, and yes, it will still hurt and be difficult. However, now I know I can do it and know what to do differently. I am excited to see what I can accomplish this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running