Running with Purpose

What broken elbow?
Everyone has their reasons for running, and I have found that it is much easier to commit to training and running a distance race when you have something motivating you. The first time I ran a half marathon, I did it for me as a personal goal. Naturally I race against myself every time I enter a race. I want to beat my previous time on that course and achieve a personal best. Sometimes motivation might be finishing a race after injury. I ran my slowest half marathon just 2 and a half months after breaking my elbow, yet I felt amazing because I was able to finish.

For me, running for charity is one of the best ways I can give back to a sport that has given a lot to me. I will never win a race or have the fastest time and I am okay with that. Instead, I choose to run to raise money and awareness for causes that are important to me. When I look back at my first half marathon, I was most inspired by those running for something bigger than themselves. I remember running next to a man who was blind. He had two runners volunteering to be his "eyes" next to him. Later I ran next to someone wearing a shirt for a cancer society that said "I run for my mom". I was so inspired by these people and I hope to be that inspiration for others. At the very least, I can do some good with the talents that I have.

In 2014, I ran the Naperville Half Marathon on behalf of a local business, A.D.O.P.T. Pet Shelter. They covered part of my race fee and as a charity runner I could enjoy certain benefits like a shirt, special race bib, pre-race meal, etc. while raising money for the charity. I chose the pet shelter as pet adoption is near and dear to my heart. I rescued my shelter pet, Autumn, on the first day of Autumn, 2012. She had heartworm, was thin and scraggly looking, and was an adult pet surrendered to a shelter which meant her days were numbered. Later I came to find out Autumn had PTSD from her previous life, and as a result is always anxious and fearful as well as aggressive to other animals. I love her with all my heart, and have learned so much from her. I believe there is a family for every animal that is in a shelter, and I personally was meant to care for Autumn despite her "issues". Running for A.D.O.P.T. in 2014 was amazing, as it gave me purpose during my training on weeks where I lacked motivation. I was inspired every time someone donated to my cause.

with Autumn after the 2014 Naperville Half Marathon

2015 Naperville Half Marathon
I enjoyed the experience so much, I ran for A.D.O.P.T. again in 2015 and was able to tour the shelter and directly see where the money I had been raising was going and the animals that I was helping. I also met other runners who were just as passionate about pet adoption as myself, and it was nice to feel the support on race day. I feel honored that so many people now see me as the expert on shelter pet adoption because I know that I have put myself and my cause out there.




Met a new friend running for A.D.O.P.T.
When I considered running the Chicago Marathon, I was going to leave it up to chance and enter the lottery. I figured if it was meant to be, I would get in. The closer it got to lottery day, I realized how much I actually wanted to run this specific marathon, and that I would be guaranteed an entry if I signed up with a charity. Naturally, I wanted to partner with a pet shelter again but I was also concerned about raising enough money. The fund raising minimums for charity runners are much higher for the Chicago Marathon, and asking for money from your friends and family each year is not always easy. One of my friends from college has run for Team PAWS Chicago for several years, and I reached out to him. It did not take much effort for him to "recruit" me, and here I am. Despite my fears, I met my fundraising minimum fairly quickly, and am now working to save "1 more life", which means raising an additional amount that would care for another pet saved by PAWS. I have been pulling out all of the stops - monthly emails to friends and family, fliers and change jars set up at my office, a clothes swap with proceeds going to Team PAWS, and going door to door in my neighborhood. It is not easy, but it is for a good cause. I know on race day, I will have the support of the team with me and at the end of the race, will come home to my own shelter pet.

For your next race, consider running for something that is meaningful to you. Pick a charity that speaks to you and use your gift of running to give back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running