Hansons Week 6

Happy Independence Day! This American Runner has been busy the past week.



Week 6 brought the first week of both speed work and tempo runs. My schedule this week was as follows:

Monday: 4 miles easy
Tuesday: 12 X 400m with 400 recovery speed
Thursday: 5 mile tempo
Friday: 4 miles easy
Saturday: 8 miles easy (on the trail)
Sunday: 8 miles easy

Hansons really slaps you in the face during week 5. After a few weeks of easy runs, suddenly you are thrown speed, tempo, and back to back 8 mile runs. Here is a recap of the week.

Speed work:

The goal of speed work is to get faster of course! Speed work is something I neglected for years and unsurprisingly never really got much faster. Speed workouts for Hansons are typically done about a minute/minute and a half faster than your goal marathon pace. The last time I did this particular speed workout was on February 4th and 30 degrees outside (thanks Garmin!). It was the first time I had done any speed work and I recall that the 12 repeats felt exhausting and never ending. Flash forward to almost 5 months later, this same workout felt challenging but surprisingly refreshing. Granted my pace is slightly slower than that I was previously training at for a half marathon, but it was very clear how much my speed has improved. The weeks of speed and strength I incorporated as part of my training for the half had not regressed over the past month of slowing things down, and I really enjoyed the change of pace. Ask me how I feel about the speed days in a few weeks....!

Local parks make great places to do speed work, and recover!
Fatigue Level:

I started off the week feeling great, but by Saturday I was beat. I struggled a bit with the back to back 8 mile runs. Despite the weather being relatively cool for Chicago standards (mid 70's), I felt hot and my legs were heavy. Given all the different workouts that were thrown in this week, it is not surprising that I felt fatigued and needed extra sleep and recovery. I chose to avoid strength training and focused on short daily yoga sessions to reset my body and prepare for the next run.

Nutrition:

Nutritionally I need to up my carbs as that probably contributed to some of the fatigue. I ranged from 50% to 57% calories from carbs during the week and this is definitely not enough. I generally aim for at least 65% to 70% and I need to focus on increasing this over the coming weeks in order to support my activity level. I will have to post specifically on nutrition another time, but I already know this is one area that was lacking this week.

The next week will be a bit of a strange week in that I have a race on Saturday and will have to adjust my schedule accordingly to support the extra miles.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running