Xtreme 10 Race Recap

Yesterday was the Waterfall Glen Xtreme trail race and I had a great experience as usual. This is the third year I have run this particular race, and it continues to be one of my favorite local races to run each year. Sure, it is always hot and humid in July, but the weather yesterday was pretty great for a summer race and the course was nice and dry. Three years ago the course was flooded and extremely muddy, so any year where the trail is dry is a plus. I walked away with a 3 minute PR from last year's time, and the first time I can claim a sub-2 hour time at this race.

There were about 200-300 less people this year, so we arrived at the forest preserve and found a parking spot very easily. Upon reaching the starting area, I was pleasantly surprised that there was a small line for the porta-potties, and they were in abundance! The little things that make a runner happy...

Because the trail is actually 9.5 miles long, the race begins and ends with a cross country trek across the grass to get to the trail head. The start is pretty fun as everyone furiously makes a dash for the trail, but the end is always a killer. It is one thing to run on long grass with fresh legs, but a different experience altogether with dead legs. Knowing this in advance helps you mentally prepare, but it still seems rather cruel as you near the finish line.

The race started in 2 minute waves to help ease congestion on the trails, and I seeded myself in the middle. I felt great dashing through the grass to the trail head, and continue to love the grip on my Altra Lone Peak trail shoes I have worn the last two trail races. I felt like I was gliding through the grass and did not struggle as in past years.

Me in the light blue

Me in the maroon shorts

I knew I wanted to be sub 2, so I used the race predictor feature on my garmin and settled into a pace that I was comfortable with. Trail races are much different than road races because there are hills and technical terrain that cause a runner to deviate from his or her pace every mile depending on what the trail is like. Miles 3 and 8 were my slowest miles with an otherwise steady pace the other miles. I typically always get into a groove around mile 4, and miles 4-7 were my best miles. I do think I hit my sweet spot a bit early which is why I struggled around mile 8, but with some of the largest hills in the later part of the race, my legs were having a hard time holding to pace. I also knew that I had to save some strength for the cross country finish, so I tried to slow down a little and relax.

I am a huge fan of Coach Jenny Hadfield's running in color, which is a strategy regarding how to pace in races. While I typically run based upon time, I also like to race based upon how I feel. I held back a little in the early parts of my half a few months ago (orange zone), and reaped the benefits later in the race when I could push into the red zone and sustain that effort. Once I realized I had moved into the red zone too early yesterday, I backed off a bit but I am not sure if this caused me to slow down in the later part of the race.


 I took a gel around mile 5 where there was a water station, otherwise I drank only water at all of the stations available. I hit the half mile cross country finish and passed a few people but then realized I still had some distance to go and slowed down until I hit the gravel and crossed the finish line. Every part of my body wanted to walk on that grass, but I fought it and that mental grit is something that will carry me through hard workouts and races to come.

That final trek through the grass is a killer!

Overall I really was happy with my performance and race strategy and am so pleased with my performance this year in the two races I have finished.

Post-race beer is always the best part!

Strengths
- Speed and running regularly on hills benefited me as I was able to run up and down hills easily while others struggled
- Familiarity with the race course helped me appropriately pace and prepare for the cross country start/finish
- I have practiced fueling and hydrating less for shorter runs between 4-8 miles, which means I am less dependent on gels for fuel
- My pre-race nutrition was on point and I did not hit the wall or feel sluggish
- I did not stop to walk during the difficult hills or grass finish

Improvements
- My pacing was less on point than I would have preferred. Some of this was due to the hills, but I went out a little too fast and went into the "red" zone earlier than I should have
- Looking at a few race photos, my form is not great. I need to work on supporting myself more with my core so I don't look hunched over by the end of the race


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running