Week 11 Training

I did not title this post "Hansons Week 11" since this week was a scheduled rest week and I did not follow week 11 of the Hansons plan. I always build a few extra weeks into my training plan to account for injury, sickness, and vacation. True, I could certainly run on vacation, and I have on many occasions, however I find that my annual camping trip to Michigan usually falls around the time I really need a break from training. I take the time to physically and mentally break from all things running and simply enjoy time with my family doing other activities.

Here was my training plan for the week:

Monday: 7 miles easy
Tuesday: 8 miles tempo
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Speedwork - 4 X 1200m with 400 recovery
Friday: Strength training
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest

I still focused on the two most important workouts - tempo and speedwork. I had been behind on each by a week, so I was glad I could "catch up" again and be exactly where I should be around week 10. While Saturday and Sunday were rest days, I was pretty active on our trip in Michigan. Sunday we hiked up the top of a dune in the Warren Dunes State Park, which I will attribute to the last 2 miles of a marathon in terms of leg fatigue! My poor dog was struggling to make it to the top, but the view was worth it!

We climbed this!
Speed:

This was my last week of speedwork - wahoo! It happened to be an extremely hot day on Thursday - around 90 degrees with humidity. I planned ahead and created a water drop station for myself where I could stop in between intervals and hydrate. While the heat was brutal, knowing I had cold water set out for myself made a huge difference and I finished my last speed session having hit my pace for all intervals. All in all, I don't mind speedwork. I find that it really helps me focus on my form and improve my cadence. With some rocking music, water, and the right location, speedwork can be a great break from the same old running routine. Strength workouts start this week, and I know I will be missing the speed once I get a reminder of how brutal the strength runs are!

Water station with a positive message

Fatigue Level:

With a few more rest days this week, I feel recovered and ready to endure the next 8 weeks of training. On Friday I did a 20 min quad workout that really kicked my butt - literally and I was pretty sore on Saturday after sitting in the car for 3 hours and sleeping on an air mattress. Soreness is usually a sign I was working a muscle that needed to be strengthen, so it is a good feeling and I am glad I did that workout on a day where I had not planned to run for a few days to give me some time to recover.

Mental & Emotional Strength:

My planned break really helped restore me mentally. I was pretty low after the past few weeks training in the heat, but having spent some time focusing on activities other than running I feel ready to take on the next several weeks of hard marathon training. Much as I discovered last year training, it is easy to get consumed with all things running and marathon. It really does help to take a step back and enjoy other passions that might be neglected during training to really bring back the longing to run again.

Nutrition:

My nutrition was not the best over the weekend camping. I had a lot of dairy products which do not sit well with me, and despite my best attempts to eat fruits and vegetables, the dairy caught up with me and I was in major discomfort Saturday and Sunday. Thankfully it is not hard for me to get back on track and feeling better, and I really am enjoying all of the fresh Michigan produce we bought at the farm stand on the way home.

Michigan blueberries and nectarines are the best 

Week 11 is going to be a rough one, but thankfully I am physically and mentally refreshed and ready to bring it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running