Chicago Marathon Reflections

To read my recap of the race, visit my previous post. Now that I have had a few days to recover both physically and mentally, I have really thought about my performance during the race. Clearly I have too much time on my hands being unemployed, but I think it is natural for anyone who commits to a goal for a long period of time to dissect things to understand what went wrong and celebrate what went well.


Warning: I am a perfectionist and it is hard for me to set goals and not achieve them. This in no way means I am not proud that I ran a freaking marathon or that somehow I feel I deserve a pity party. I have had my share of amazing and horrible races and I have learned from all of them.

Proud of:

  • I took 6 minutes off my previous marathon time (which was $12 back to Team PAWS)
  • I worked the past year to get faster and I did. I shaved 33 seconds off my average mile time for the marathon
  • I did not go out too fast in the first part of the race. I held to an easy pace and focused on running my own race
  • I raised over $1,700 for Team PAWS
  • I kept running when my legs were very fatigued, especially in the final miles
  • I enjoyed the course and the crowd and had fun most of the race
  • I followed my fueling plan even when the thought of taking another gel made me sick
  • I did not give up, even when I knew I would not meet my goal
  • Trained seriously for 18 weeks using a very aggressive plan
  • I did NOT GET INJURED!

Disappointments:
  • My average pace was 13 seconds slower than my marathon goal pace
  • I was 14 minutes slower than my goal time
  • Mentally I gave in to the wall and allowed myself to feel defeated
  • Dehydration
  • Improper fueling and hydration pre-race
The look of defeat

Lessons Learned:

Based upon the list above, here are a few things that I would like to focus on for the future.
  • Mental training: I have read all of Matt Fitzgerald's books and know the importance of mental strength. During my first marathon, I would say my mental strength was greater than my physical endurance. In this race, it was the other way around. Physically I was very strong, but mentally I faltered. I questioned my performance and let things like hydration and a wacky GPS mess with me. I let the stress of my job loss affect me for weeks whether I wanted to admit it or not. The marathon showed up in it's full glory and it showed me who's boss. I truly believe if I had been stronger mentally, I would have made my time goal. As Matt Fitzgerald writes, "how bad do you want it?". On race day, I clearly did not want it enough when it came down to it.
  • Hydration: In reading more about dehydration, I am very certain I was extremely dehydrated. The fact that I drank at almost every aid station, sometimes twice, and never had sloshing in my stomach or felt satisfied are red flags. I also never felt like I needed to pee. While I am someone that drinks water all day and has never had an issue with hydration before, I do not think I drank enough in the days leading up to the race or on race morning. The fact that I woke up so early only to stand in the corral for another hour before the start did not help one bit. Going forward, I plan to make this a bigger focus and to bring water with me to the corral. While I do not drink Gatorade or like to carry hydration with me during races, I may consider this in the future.
  • Fueling: I know I did not eat enough race morning and again, this was due to the early morning wake up time hours before the race. While I did eat something small right before the race, I was likely running on the gels I was consuming and not stored energy after a few miles. I believe I was also walking a fine line between carb loading and dropping weight. The scale did move down which was nice for a change, but I probably was not eating enough the day or two before. Because I have such a sensitive stomach I tend to avoid overeating or eating just to eat, so in the future I will need to explore new foods to help me carb load without feeling sick.
Hansons Review:

Clearly I have a lot to celebrate and little to be disappointed with. I am really happy that I decreased my overall time by several minutes even if it was not what I hoped for. I cannot help but feel disappointed, but I also know that I put in the training. I trained just as hard as someone who was going to Boston Qualify knowing that my time would still be considered slow by most. This is the most work I have ever put into training and I think the fact that I achieved such wonderful results with Hansons for my half marathon led me to expect huge results for the marathon. I do not blame my plan one bit and I alone put that pressure on myself. Some may say that the fact that I did not run an 18 or 20 miler may have contributed to my failure to meet my time goal. Others would say it was that I did not follow a traditional taper. I do not think it was any of these things. I believe the plan made me a better runner and prepared me to handle the marathon extremely well. I felt great the majority of the race. Physically I could have continued to run at my goal pace, but mentally I was not strong enough. I see my biggest failure in the race as a mental one and not due to a lack of training or too much training. I would absolutely follow the plan again. I really enjoy the structure of the workouts and schedule, and I do believe it has made me a better runner. 

So what's next for me? I have a vacation coming up in a few days where I can decompress from all things running for a bit. As much as part of me is aching to jump back into running and training, I know I need to physically recover as well as mentally. Training for so many weeks is really hard and exhausting. Marathon training consumes your life if you let it (in a mostly good way), and I am going to enjoy taking a break so that when I do run, it is because I love it and not because it is time to train for another race. Looking ahead I would like to do a winter race so that I can piggy back on all the training I have done this summer and keep my fitness up. I am also deciding what my 2017 fall marathon plans will be. What race will I choose? I am not sure, but it is a good sign that I am even considering taking this journey again. 

Comments

  1. It's hard not to have the perfect day we all want after working so hard but you should be proud of your hard work and your race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is the perfectionist in me that wanted to have that "great" race, but I still enjoyed it and had fun. I signed up for 2017, so clearly it did not turn me off too much!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running