Hansons Week 18

The final week! I will write about the actual race another time, but I will say that overall it was a great experience. I did not achieve the time that I wanted or trained for, but I am proud of the 6 minute PR I accomplished.


Here is what the final week looked like:

Monday: 5 easy miles
Tuesday: 5 easy miles
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 6 easy miles 4 easy miles
Friday: 5 easy miles Rest
Saturday: 3 easy miles 2 easy miles
Sunday: RACE!

The biggest differences between the plan and what I did was taking an extra rest day and shortening some of the runs. I attended the race expo on Friday which involved a lot of walking so I would not even say it was a true rest day as I was on my feet quite a bit.

Fatigue Level:

I felt like I took care of myself physically this week and I noticed a huge difference in my body and how rested I felt. The inflammation in my legs that I have grown used to was gone and I did not have "Hansons legs" for once. I did a lot of yoga to rest and recover, and physically I was ready for race day. I stayed off my feet quite a bit on Saturday other than the shake-out run, and I think it is the most rested I have ever been prior to a race. In terms of sleep, I did not sleep well the night before but that was to be expected. Thankfully I slept a lot in the nights leading up to the race, so I think I banked enough sleep that one sleepless night did not affect me.

No Hansons legs with this kind of love
Mental & Emotional Strength:

As if the last day at my job the previous week was not enough stress, my employer called to ask if I would come back for two more months. I would still be laid off after that, but they were desperate with another employee leaving. While I declined and was completely at peace with my decision, this caused me some unnecessary stress. I continued with my daily yoga practice for meditation and game day mental prep and I found that I came back to the breath and mantra several times in the days to come before the race. I made my pre-race checklist the day before and prepared my race bags in advance so I would forget anything or think about it the night before. I find that the more prepared I am, the less I worry or stress. There is no reason to worry about things that are in your control, so I do my best to control what I can.

Nutrition:

I continued with my pre-race strategy of eating 80-90% carbs and ate foods that I was familiar with and have had success with in the past. I did drop two more pounds which came more from the lack of inflammation than lack of food, but I felt good with what I was eating and drinking and made sure to keep in mind what food I needed to fuel me rather than just eating carbs to eat carbs.

Overall I had a great last week of tapering and I actually enjoyed it. I remained focused on the race and my goals, but I also took some time to rest and enjoy the extra time I had that would have normally been spent running. Now I understand what people mean when they say that they like the taper. I think I appreciated it more than ever.

Comments

  1. Congrats on your race! I'm looking forward to reading your recap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that we couldn't meet up but looking forward to your recap. Tough but beautiful day for many of us! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running