Post Marathon Recovery

It is hard to believe that the Chicago marathon was two weeks ago today! The soreness and post race blues have subsided, and life has returned to what feels like limbo as I currently have no training plan to follow for now. I still have a few blisters and black toenails, but compared to my first marathon this is nothing!



Nasty
Four days post marathon I went for my first run. It was slow going, but I was surprised at how good I felt so soon after. I attribute this to the fact that I really took care of myself after the race, and Hansons.

First post marathon run to see my bird
There is no doubt that Hansons made me a stronger runner and more capable of dealing with fatigue and tired legs. Just a few days out from the marathon and I had no problem doing a quick run on sore legs. Combined with daily yoga, lots of anti-inflammatory foods, and hydration, I felt back to normal.

Marathon recovery snack
I went on vacation over the past week and a half after the marathon and that helped take my mind off of running, training, and racing. I did not miss running until I watched several runners make their way across Penns Landing in Philadelphia one night, and I felt the stirring in me to run. The feeling was not one of having to run, but wanting to run.

Penns Landing - I can understand why runners like this view!
The day after I arrived home I laced up and and went for a run. I had no idea how far I wanted to run but figured my body would let me know. I managed 3 miles and while I felt stiff and out of shape, it felt good.

Yesterday I headed to the trails to glimpse as much of the autumn splendor as I could and told myself I could do the 3 mile loop and continue another mile if I felt good. Feeling "good" was an understatement. I felt awesome. The trail was beautiful and I felt strong and fast again. I did the extra mile and while I was paying for it today with some stiff hamstrings, I loved it.


Today was the opening of the Dupage River Trail extension that I have been looking forward to for months. This extension means I can add more miles to my long runs without having to run on side streets or run loops. While the extension is nothing pretty to look at, I absolutely loved it. There were not many people out so it felt like I had the trail to myself. The leaves were blowing in the wind and I stopped at the bridge to look at the water. I will definitely be back to the extension soon.

Trail extension
On my way to the extension I took a detour on a single track trail that cuts across the main paved trail. I had always wanted to run this trail but due to a specific mileage or pace I was running, never have. I am SO happy I finally did this as I love everything about the trail. It was so quiet and beautiful, and while I had to watch my feet and not trip, the view was spectacular.

single track splendor
I often spend most of the year training for something. I like to have a goal and a plan to follow. I am someone that likes to train. Hansons actually instructs plan followers to not run for several weeks in order to rest and recover before training again. While I am not quite following this advice, I am enjoying running for the love of the sport. I had no idea how many miles I was going to run today or what my pace would be. That was ok because I enjoyed my run so much. Instead of feeling rushed or pressured to hold to a pace, I ran what felt good and made sure to enjoy my surroundings. This may not be the rest that Hansons recommends, but I love running and I need to explore what that means without the confines of training. It is really easy to get mentally tired of training and that is why it is important to run because you love it and not because you have to run.

I was a bit sad today as it was the 4th year of the Naperville Marathon and the first year that I have missed this race. It was the first half that I ever ran and was proud that I had never missed it. After my run today, I am glad that I did not force myself to run it just so I could have a 4th year medal. I am glad I spent the day exploring new trails and giving myself a mental break from training. Soon I will have to plan my next race and head back into a schedule, but for now I am enjoying myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running