Base Building Week 2

Time to check in on the second week of my Hansons base building program. This week definitely did not go as planned in terms of the scheduled runs, but I still found it interesting and challenging. Here is what I completed this week:

Monday: Jasyoga - Run your core
Tuesday: 5 miles easy, Jasyoga - post workout recovery
Wednesday: 4 mile progression run with 1 mile warm up/cool down
Thursday: 1 mile hike
Friday: .5 mile run, Iron Strength workout, Jasyoga - Side body reset
Saturday: 6 miles easy
Sunday: 10 miles long, Jasyoga - Cool It
Total Miles: 25.77


My total mileage was much lower this week than last week and this was mostly due to Friday. I was scheduled to run 6 miles easy with strides however I was not able to get out and run before the rain arrived. I have no issues with running in the rain but when I was just down the street from my house my phone alerted me to a lightning strike a mile away, and another bolt of lightning appeared right in front of me. I looped around back home and did some cross training instead. I don't mess around with lightning!

I really enjoyed Wednesday's progression run. After the warm up, I ran the first mile 30 seconds slower than my race pace, then dropped 10 seconds faster each mile. I felt I really benefited from this as I am always guilty of going out too fast during a race. It is easy in the first few miles to run faster but then the later miles always feel more difficult as a result. Being aware of my pace and forcing myself to slow down early on really helped me finish this run strong and able to hold to my race pace.

The long run also went really well. This was the first double digit run I've completed since the marathon and I was a bit nervous about it. I took to the trail so that I could run loops back to my car for water and fuel now that all of the water fountains are shut off for the season. I kept to a steady pace despite some of the large hills and finished the 10 miles around the same pace as my marathon goal pace.

Thursday was a scheduled rest day, but it was also National Take a Hike day and I took to the trail with my dog while it was still 70 degrees out. Opting outdoors for a hike is good for you and our furry friends!

Autumn loves long walks!
Fatigue Level:

I felt pretty tired on Monday after the long run last Sunday and Tuesday's run was a bit forced as I still felt sore. I think the progression run re-energized me for the week and I felt fantastic for Saturday's run. Those were probably the easiest 6 miles I've run in a long time. I think this is in part to some of the extra rest this week as well as continuation of yoga after every run. I also lost my dead toenail that has been clinging on since the marathon and as gross as it may be, the pressure that was relieved made my runs much more enjoyable.

Sexy

Mental & Emotional Strength:

With all of the emotion from the results of the election the previous week, I was still feeling a little blue. I attended a concert this week with my husband and hearing live music was so good for my soul. Music has always been really important to me but this concert came at a perfect time to really lift my spirits high. It also happens to be the start of Oiselle's Rungiving and I love seeing and hearing about all the wonderful things happening in the running community. Sometimes it is easy to forget there is good out there in the world, but it truly is all around us.

Band of Horses concert at the Aragon Ballroom
Nutrition:

With the 30 degree drop in temps here this week I have been warming up with homemade broccoli soup and focusing on protein. Some days it really is a struggle, especially after a run, but I really think about what foods I am going to eat and try to optimize foods with more protein. I also find that when my long runs go into the double digits I struggle to eat enough afterwards. I try to have several small meals in between my run and dinner to get enough calories in but when you eat mostly plants as I do, the calories are slow to add up. While this is a problem that some may see as a good thing, I tend to find my recovery sucks and I feel horrible the next day. This is clearly something I need to continue to work on.

Week 3 of the plan looks very similar to week 1 but with more miles and I am hoping that the weather cooperates.

Comments

  1. What's your goal race?! I may have missed that post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing the F^3 Lake Half Marathon in January. I don't really have a goal time per se as the weather in January could be anything, but I am training at the same pace I did for a half I ran earlier in the year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running