Base Building Week 3

It is week 3 of Hansons Base Building plan and I think I am finally getting the hang of this. With more familiarity of the various runs, I really enjoyed this week and could tell a difference in my overall speed. Here was my plan for the week:
Monday: Jasyoga - Quick Foot Reset and 5 min Hamstring Reset
Tuesday: 4 mile fartlek run with 1 mile warm up and cool down, Jasyoga - Hip Reset
Wednesday: 6 miles easy, Jasyoga - Optional Hip Recovery
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 4 mile tempo run with 1 mile warm up and cool down, Jasyoga - Post workout recovery
Saturday: 4 miles easy
Sunday: 8 miles easy with 6 strides, Jasyoga - Preventative medicine for your lower legs/feet
Total Miles: 31

This week's fartlek run was running 3 miles of 4 min on/2 min off then 1 min on and 1 min off. I found it much more challenging than week 1's workout  but I really focused on my form and pacing and I felt proud of myself for getting through the run.

After Thanksgiving I was not sure how I would feel during the tempo run but I was still coasting off of the fartlek workout and I was able to hit and beat my target half marathon pace for the 4 miles. I really enjoyed being outdoors instead of Black Friday shopping and after a day of rest and feasting, a run felt so good.
Rainy Run

Fatigue Level:

As you might tell from the Jasyoga videos I selected this week I was experiencing some hip and hamstring pain after the fartlek run. Unfortunately my hamstrings will always be the bane of my existence and I need to be careful after doing speedwork. My feet also hurt after the previous week's 10 mile trail run so I was careful to focus on that area as well. Here's hoping I get these babies for Christmas so I can toss my current pair!

Mental & Emotional Strength:

I had a good week mentally. Both the fartlek and tempo runs went so well that it really boosted my confidence about where I am with my current running fitness. I will admit I did not feel like running on Saturday and only did 4 miles instead of the 6 I was supposed to do, but I am still proud I put in the miles instead of skipping the run. I also ran Wednesday's mileage in the rain which was good for building mental strength. It is so easy to stay indoors when it is raining but honestly what good are you doing for yourself if you never run outside your comfort zone? Race day conditions can really be unexpected, so putting yourself in an uncomfortable situation every now and then really helps prepare you for anything. 

Nutrition:

I always find the idea of overeating on Thanksgiving kind of ridiculous. I think it is important to enjoy what you eat, but I think the most important part of the holiday is spending it with people who are important to you. I indulged in some of my favorite Thanksgiving traditional foods such as a family corn casserole recipe, but overall I watched my portion sizes and kept in mind that overeating would not help me run well the next day. I know the holidays are really hard for some people, but I think the key is to enjoy yourself but know that the point of the holidays is not to overeat because "that's what everyone does". The point is to enjoy the company of those you are with and food is not the focus. I love gathering around a table and enjoying a meal with those that I love, but I love the conversation more than anything else.

Friendsgiving!

I can't believe I am starting week 4 which will be the midway point of the base building plan. This week will bring another progression run as well as a 10 miler, so I am mentally getting myself prepared to take that on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running