Base Building Week 5

The good news this week is that I was able to make it 5 weeks into the 8 week plan before the snow really impacted my runs. The bad news is that the snow is here and it is much much harder to run outside.
Break out the Yaktrax, winter is here.

Here is what week 5 looked like for me:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 5-4-3-2-1 Fartlek run for a total of 6 miles
Wednesday: 6 miles easy, Jasyoga - Post workout recovery
Thursday: Jasyoga - Recovery boost
Friday: 4 mile tempo run with 1 mile warm up/cool down, Jasyoga - Optimal Hip Reset
Saturday: 6 miles easy
Sunday: 4 miles easy, 20 min Glute Iron Strength workout, Jasyoga - Couch reset, 5 min Hamstring Reset
Total Miles: 30.14

The fartlek run this week was interesting. I ran 5-4-3-2-1 mins ON with 2 mins recovery in between each run interval. I poorly timed the first interval to start right as I approached a slippery bridge and couldn't really run as fast as I should have, but I felt myself get stronger with each interval.

I was a bit bummed that I was unable to finish my long run again this week. Mother Nature seems to time the long runs with snow storms. Last week I finished 6 instead of 10 and this week I finished 4 instead of 8. In defense of my effort, the 4 miles I ran in wet snow surely felt like 8.

This is the face of someone trying to enjoy winter running

Garmin only records your pace and distance, but cannot track your effort. My effort level was at a 10 by the time I finished. I also focused on alternate activities to account for the time I would have been on my feet for the 8 miles. While I did not run 8 miles, I still moved my body for the same amount of time and that is a win. Focusing on the positive, I have been able to maintain my 30 mpw base for the past 5 weeks and there is no reason why I shouldn't feel ready for my half in a month.

Fatigue Level:

I was tired this week. Maybe it was the snow or really cold temps, but I would return home after a run in the cold and feel wiped out. I debated running the 8 miles on Saturday instead of Sunday as I had a feeling that the snow would change my plans, but I was dragging during the run. I don't want to risk overtraining so I didn't push it. Hopefully my shortened long run will give me a bit of a rest to push through the next week.

Mental & Emotional Strength:

Running in the snow and cold is very difficult on a physical level, but just as much on a mental level. Some days it takes all my will power to push myself out into the cold. I am also more limited in where I can run so I can tell I am starting to get bored running the same 6 mile route most days. On Wednesday the sun was out which was deceiving as it was actually very cold, but I headed to the forest preserve for a change of scenery. This ended up being a huge help mentally and I enjoyed the run much more than anticipated.

Happy trails to you!
Sunday's run was much more difficult. The snow was really wet and heavy, and after I wiped out I pretty much threw a mental fit and wanted nothing more than to make it home. Instead of enjoying the snow I was angry that it was impeding my run and that I fell and aggravated my hamstring. I know the weather is going to only get worse as the winter rolls on, so I am trying to focus on the positive. Some changes I am going to make that I think will help:

  • Run by time instead of distance. If I have to run in the snow, I cannot focus on mileage
  • Skip speedwork and temp runs if I don't have a clear path to run on
I think this will help take some of the pressure off of me and I can run by effort and time vs pace and miles. 

Running in midwest winter weather is not fun. I need to try and make this as enjoyable as I can, and focus on what I am doing vs what I want to be doing. Any time I make it outdoors in the cold or the snow is forcing myself to be uncomfortable which is only going to help strengthen me mentally for my next race or whatever life throws at me.

Comments

  1. I split my long runs in the winter if it's really bad out. I do half outside and half inside on the treadmill. I don't think I could stomach an entire long run on the treadmill but sometimes it's just too bad out to do the whole think outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea. I don't have access to a treadmill right now and have a hard time justifying the cost of a gym membership right now when I don't have a job. I hate the treadmill but it certainly beats running in dangerous conditions, so I hope that a gym membership is in my future!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running