Ice Breaker

February 25, 2014 I went out for a run. Due to a doctor's appointment that was delayed over an hour, I rushed home, checked my work email, and anxiously got ready for my scheduled run. I quickly put on my running gear and headed out the door so I could be home in time to start dinner. The weather was fairly warm for February and all of the snow was melting.



It was close to sun down and the weather was starting to cool off. I was running at full speed along the path so that I could get home quickly. About two miles in I reached a point in the trail that was covered in ice. I wasn't wearing my yaktrax because up until this point, the trail had been clear and most of the snow had melted. I figured I could walk along the edge of the path very slowly to make it around the ice. The second my foot hit the ice, I was on the ground. There was no sliding around or trying to get my footing. One minute I was standing and the next I was laying on the ice.

I knew something was wrong. I had stuck out my right arm to brace myself and I could feel the impact in my shoulder and elbow. The wind had been knocked out of me, so I laid on the ice before dragging myself back on to the trail. I looked around me and given that it was February, no one was around. I didn't think my husband would be home from work and wasn't sure how he could get to me. I knew something was wrong with my arm, but my legs still worked. I clutched my arm to me and ran the two miles back to my house. They were the longest two miles I've ever run.

As soon as I got home I had to ring the doorbell as my fingers wouldn't work to get my key out of my pocket. Even moving my arm to attempt that sent a large amount of pain through my body. Thankfully my husband was home and after realizing I wasn't making him answer the door for fun, we headed off to urgent care. Three hours later and I had a diagnosis: fractured elbow and a sprained wrist.


The next several weeks were spent taking large amounts of painkillers and learning how to manage with one, non-dominant arm. Before leaving for work my husband would have to cut up my lunch as I could not even use a knife. Once I was working again, it would take me 20 minutes to type an email with my left hand. I watched as spring approached and it seemed as if runners were out every where, flaunting it in my face.


When I finally entered physical therapy, it was a long long process as the fracture impacted so much of my right hand that I had to learn how to use it again. To this day, there are still some things that are difficult for me to do and I have more weakness on my right side of my body as a result of overcompensating for the injury. Many weeks and lots of doctor bills later, I was on the mend and still ran my half marathon in May. It was not a PR and it was miserable, but I still finished what I set out to do. Looking back, trying to navigate that ice in February so that I could race in May is one of the dumbest things I've done.

Now that the weather is cold and icy here in Chicago, I am reminded of this incident every time I step foot outside. The winter after my injury I was terrified to go outside. While some of that fear has lessened over time, I still sign up for spring races. I still run exclusively outside. However, now I run smarter.

If the weather is really bad or dangerous, I stay indoors. If there is even the possibility of ice, I wear my yaktrax. If I see ice, I do not try to walk on it or go around. I seek out places to run that are maintained during the winter. If I am running in a place that is unfamiliar to me where I cannot see the trail or path, I do not attempt to run on it.

Some runners put studs on an old pair of shoes which is a nice alternative to buying yaktrax or other traction devices. I prefer the yaktrax specific running cleats  as opposed to the original brand, but something is better than nothing. Runner's World has a great video for how to put studs in your shoes here. I also like using trail shoes for traction in light snow as well.

I am a firm believer in running outside of your comfort zone, literally. If we always waited for the perfect weather, we would still be waiting. Running in uncomfortable conditions makes us stronger, both mentally and physically. Winter is no excuse to stay indoors and then play catch up with your goals in the spring. However, please run smart. We are not invincible and hopefully it does not take a fall or fracture for another person to learn what I learned the hard way.

Comments

  1. I legit fell down the steps an hour ago due to ice. Tis the season. I love that you don't let it stop you! We may be in for a long winter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running