What I'm Wearing - Late Fall Edition

Despite it being officially December, I wouldn't say it truly feels like winter yet. Some days I head out for a run still wearing shorts while other days I need to layer. I received a few inquiries as to what I wear when the summer temps drop so I thought I would share a few of my favorite late fall running pieces.

Personally I would wear the items below in temps ranging from 35 to 50 degrees. I tend to run (haha!) hot when I am exercising, but each person is different and you should find what works best for you. I like the recommendation that you should dress as if it is 10-20 degrees warmer outside than it actually is. If you are someone who is generally cold, walking around your house or taking a warm shower before you head out will help you acclimate much faster. However, the best advice I can provide is that if you are unsure, layer. You can always shed layers as your body temp increases and this is much more ideal than being too cold or hot with no options.

To start, I would select a good base layer. A few of my current favorites:
  • Flyte Long Sleeve: I pretty much love any of the Oiselle flyte tops, whether it is the tank or the long sleeve. The long sleeve is breathable and light. I love it because it does not cling to your body and fits really nice as a layering piece under a vest or jacket. Plus I love the bird in flight print! 
  • Lux hoodie: Lux material is oh so soft and warm. It feels like comfy worn-in pajamas that wick away your sweat. It is a giant hug for your body while you are running. I like the hoodie when pairing with a vest because the hood acts as a scarf and can be used to cover your head if needed. The thumbholes are also nice so I don't need to wear gloves.
Gilman Vest over Flyte Long Sleeve
From there, add a jacket or vest: I love, love, love vests to run in. They block the wind, keep you dry when it is misting, yet are breathable. This is a great layering piece when transitioning from summer into fall because you can wear just about anything underneath depending on the weather. My two favorite vests are:
  • Vigor Vest:  This vest is really roomy and breathable. I have worn this in the summer when it was raining with just a sports bra underneath, and in cold windy conditions. The best part of this vest is that it can be rolled up inside itself. If you get hot, you can roll it into a pouch with handle that is easy to carry for the rest of your run. The longer length also keeps your butt nice and warm too!
    Vigor Vest over Lux hoodie and Window Tights with Lux Headband
  • Gilman Vest: This is an older Oiselle style but still one of my favorites. It is thicker and more form fitting than the Vigor vest, but it blocks the wind incredibly well. The collar of the vest comes up nice and high so that your core and neck stay warm while you still achieve some ventilation with your arms. 
For lightweight jackets I recommend the Wallace Jacket. This jacket is incredible. I have worn it on a warm rainy day as well as doing speedwork on an icy winter day. It is a loose fitting jacket that you can wear with a warm layer underneath or a tank. The giant pocket in the back acts as it's own bag to roll up into if needed, or is perfect for storing your mittens or phone. I can attest that the hood stays in place with the snaps around the neck but can also be removed if needed.

Speedwork in the Wallace
Until there is snow or temps below 30, I like to have light and breathable bottoms. Here are a few of my favorites:
  • Pleat Knickers and Tights: I find the Pleat style to be the most comfortable and flattering of all Oiselle bottoms. My movement is never restricted and when I get sweaty the material does not stick to me. I also love the larger back pocket on the knickers that actually fits a larger phone. 
  • Window Knickers and Tights: The material of this style is a bit thicker so it is great for windy and cold runs. I find the waistband of this style to be the selling point as it stays in place and sits higher up on the waist. As someone who is short waisted, this is a great feature. I will warn my tall readers that the tights do run a bit short so if your ankles get chilly, wear a longer sock style.
Window Tights
  • KG Tights: Named after one of my favorites, Kara Goucher, this is probably the most universally flattering and unique of all Oiselle tights. They feel like your favorite pair of sweats but have light compression that is breathable. The waistband is the highest of all Oiselle tights and makes anyone wearing them look amazing. My husband says these are his favorite! 
KG Tights
I would also recommend a warmer sports bra, such as the Lux Verrazano bra underneath it all as the fabric is soft and warm, yet still breathable. I find this to be the warmest of all Oiselle bras.

Lastly, for cooler runs I add a headband. I tend to prefer a headband to a hat as I like to wear my hair in a top knot and save the hats for colder runs. The Lux Running Headband is my preferred headband as it is super soft but displaces the sweat on the outer layer so it never feels soggy. Unlike some other headbands, this one never hurts my head and I usually forget I am wearing it. It does run a bit wider than other brands but I like this as I can pull it further across my forehead for additional warm. 

Once the temps drop I will do a winter edition of some of my favorite cold weather styles. Since I will be running a half in January I will be testing out some new styles for winter running.

Lastly, while I run as part of the Oiselle Volee team, these opinions are my own. I have only recommended styles that I actively wear or have worn in the past.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running