Countdown to F^3 Lake Half Marathon - 2 days

Two days until the F^3 Lake Half Marathon. My packet has been picked up, I ran my last shake-out run, and have updated my wardrobe choices several times as the weather has changed. Yes, it will definitely be fucking freezing frozen, as the name of the race indicates (F^3...get it?).





In all seriousness, I have been thinking a lot about my goals for the race and how I would like it to go. I knew signing up for a winter race could mean a difficult race day when the race is in January in Chicago. When I think back to my reasons for signing up for the race, they were to:

  • Give me something to focus on while I was unemployed
  • Maintain my fitness from the marathon
  • Challenge myself
Not having toed the line yet, I've already accomplished all three. Running this winter has been hard and frustrating at times, but I have enjoyed the routine running has helped me create while unemployed. I'm enjoying the fact that I am running longer distances in January. I don't have to "start" training again in a few months for a spring race. Lastly, whatever happens on race day, I've already challenged myself this winter. Running in cold/windy/snowy/rainy/icy conditions has challenged me more than some very hot summer runs have. 

All in all it would be great to PR this race after all I have put into it, but I'm content with having fun and seeing how the race goes. Race day is going to be cold and windy, but I know I can handle that part. I just want to out there and enjoy running in a race that most people think is pretty crazy. Which makes me just laugh, because I must be crazy for not thinking it's all that bad!

There was a great post from Runner's World out today that I think many can relate to without necessarily being a runner. The part that speaks to me the most is this:

"Let’s measure our success by our willingness to keep showing up. Whether it’s our running, our healthy diet, our career, our parenting, our marriages, our relationships, our education, or our dreams – if we focus on our investment rather than the outcome or our performance, we will liberate ourselves from the fear that claims too much of the energy we need available to fuel our try.

This time around I am focusing on the investment I've put into myself the last few months and not the pressure of a PR or having the "best race ever". Sure, every runner wants to have his or her best race, but for a race in January, I'd say the investment is far greater than the outcome!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running