Countdown to F^3 Lake Half Marathon - 6 days

The F^3 Lake Half Marathon is just 6 days away. While the weather for Saturday is going to be drastically different from the 58 degrees I enjoyed this past week, I am feeling ready. This taper hasn't "tapered" as much as others right before a race, but I am looking forward to a lighter few days leading up to Saturday.


Here was my plan for the week:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 4 X 1 mile strength run, Jasyoga - Optimal Hip Reset
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 6 miles tempo, 10 minute Pilates workout
Friday: 5 miles easy, Jasyoga - How to Kickstart Recovery
Saturday: 8 miles long
Sunday: 5 miles easy, Jasyoga - Preventative Medicine for Lower Legs/Feet

The past week I ran my last strength and tempo runs of the Hansons Half plan. Because I had yet to run a 6 mile tempo due to the weather, I chose to do it this week instead of the scheduled 5. I took a mile off from Friday's run to give myself an easier run. With the race day approaching, I know this is the time to take it easy so I feel rested on race day.

While I am still actively recovering with yoga, I cut out all major strength training for the week as a precaution. The last thing I want is soreness in other parts of my body around race day.

Saturday's long run was glorious. The weather felt like it was April instead of January, and I ran in shorts! It also happened to be the day of the Women's March, and I spent my long run listening to a podcast about choice. I chose to wear my Oiselle "Woman Up" shirt as I ran in place of holding a sign. At the end of the day, I believe it is important to support others and respect their choices even when they different from my own.

Woman Up!
Fatigue Level:

I started off the week feeling very fatigued after the 12 miler last weekend. I was not sleeping well and I felt like my recovery was slow. As the week went on, my legs felt lighter and I focused on yoga and using the R8 Roller after each run.

Mental & Emotional Strength:

This was quite an emotional week, with the Presidential Inauguration and the Women's March. I would be lying if I said that emotions were not running high and bleeding into my runs, but I was glad to be able to channel some of my feelings into my runs and use that time to work out a lot that I was internalizing. On Sunday I was fed up with social media and headed out to the preserve where I could have some peace and quiet and it was exactly what I needed.

I also received a donation to the Seattle Human Society in my name from my aunt. This act really touched me and renewed my sense of passion and responsibility as a member of Team PAWS. It is amazing how one small act of kindness can change your outlook.



Nutrition:

I looked back to my food journal from the last half marathon I ran to see what I ate. With a 6 minute PR, I will gladly duplicate what I was doing back then in hopes it will benefit me now. Typically I follow Matt Fitzgerald's "rules" for taper nutrition as found in his book "The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition: A Cutting-Edge Plan to Fuel Your Body Beyond ""the Wall"". I felt like his advice has really helped me in the past, and I plan to fuel this week just as I did before my last few races.

I plan to post a few of my race goals in the coming days as I really reflect on what I would like to achieve. With a light running schedule, I will have a lot of time to prep for the race and I am getting excited!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running