F^3 Lake Half Marathon - 1 week later

After enjoying Austin, Texas the past few days, I think it is safe to say I am officially thawed out and rested after the  F^3 Lake Half Marathon. If you missed my recap, you can read it here.





I took 2 full days of recovery after the race. I went for a short run to test my legs on Tuesday, and felt tired and achy. I knew it was my body telling me to take some additional time off. While a 13 mile easy run is one thing, racing is completely different and I know when I have pushed myself beyond my comfort zone when I am still sore a few days later.

Check out this landscape!!
One week later, I went for an easy 5 mile run and feel pretty great. Despite walking quite a bit in Austin, I was starting to feel the familiar itch in my legs to get outside and run. It was nice to find that 5 miles seemed fairly easy, and that a week off of running did not take away from my overall fitness.

As usual, I have a bit of the post-race blues. Even though this was a "fun" race, I had been training and thinking about it for several months. After a great race where I challenged myself and felt the thrill of crossing the finish line, it makes me anxious to sign up for another race. I still have many months before I need to train for the Chicago marathon, so I have a few spring races to toy with in the meantime. For now, I plan to do somewhat of a "reverse taper" to ease back into running consistently again. I'll think about the feeling of crossing a finish line and have no doubt I'll be checking in with an update regarding my plans for the spring.

The finish line!
Lastly, I wanted to post my overall miles for January: 123.72. Not too shabby for winter!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running