Vulnerability

Sensing a theme with podcasts this week, I recently listened to the latest episode of Trail Runner Nation. The topic of this podcast was "Vulnerability: Our Greatest Measure of Courage" and I was deeply inspired and engaged during this episode.

So often we view vulnerability as a bad thing. We are afraid to put ourselves out of our comfort zone for fear of failure or rejection. Being vulnerable means that we might be uncomfortable and as humans, we like comfort and routine. During this podcast, the notion of vulnerability as a positive notion was discussed along with courage. When we experience something new, even if it is scary or we might fail, we open ourselves up to something wonderful as well. The more we push ourselves outside what is comfortable, we become stronger and able to handle whatever life throws our way such as divorce, losing a job (!!!), or sickness and death.

On the eve of starting a new job, I feel many of these emotions and can completely relate, but it is this sense of vulnerability as a positive thing that has convinced me to make myself uncomfortable in order to go after something I have had my eye on for a while: completing an ultra.

Last week I signed up for the Earth Day Trail Race series, and selected the 50k option. Sure, I am terrified and worried that I might fail. I may have less time to train with a new job. I may get injured. I may not be able to finish the race. I may not meet the time cutoff. All of these thoughts are scary, but being vulnerable to this experience may also be opening me up to the most amazing experience. If I had never been open to the possibility of running a marathon, I may never have signed up and achieved something so fulfilling. I have never regretted running a marathon, even when I missed my time goals or felt so much pain during the race. I hope that I have the same thought regarding my first 50k, but if I sit at home and never try, I will always wonder "what if". As those speaking on the podcast indicated, if you never participate, you are only a spectator. You watch life and others achieve their goals, but never get to live them yourself. I don't want to just spectate and watch others accomplish their dream races. I have the courage to go for it myself.

Crossing the finish line at my first marathon
So hang in here with me as I show my vulnerability when it comes to training and running this race. I will still detail my training and experiences along the way, but I really hope that this is an awakening for others who have always been afraid to try something to get out there and do
it. It is so easy to become complacent and comfortable. I love routine and a sense of "what's to come" more than most, but that is why I continually try to make myself experience new things. That is how I have continued to grow as a person.

I am really excited to see where training for this race leads me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running