Earth Day 50k Training Update - 1 day to go!

That's right...ONE day until my first 50k. I woke up this morning after sleeping in on a day off, and it seemed unreal that at this time tomorrow, I will be running my first ultramarathon.

I've spent the majority of the week thinking about the race, but not allowing myself to worry or feel anxiety. I've been doing daily yoga and meditation, created my drop bag and nutrition lists, and I feel about as prepared as I can.

I've only run twice this week, a speed workout on Tuesday morning (4 X 5 min on, 1 min off) and a 3 mile shakeout today. I opted to use a rest day on Wednesday instead of a run, and I've been trying to get as much extra sleep as possible.

My new boss hosted a pasta party for me on Tuesday to help me "carb up" which was so incredibly thoughtful. While I haven't been really carb loading until Thursday, it was nice to talk with my new coworkers and share in the excitement I feel about the race. Talking about it with others really helps ease my nerves.

Nevermind that an ultra is 51 miles!

Yesterday I was able to eat about 68% of my calories from carbs, and today I am shooting for 70%. I am focusing on hydration and eating every few hours. Any time I start to feel anxious, I try to focus on the breathing techniques I have been doing during my daily Jasyoga meditation.

One of my Oiselle teammates sent me the sweetest note with a pin of Shalane and Amy from the Olympic trials. It really touched me and I am lucky to feel the support of my teammates even if we are all racing in different states this weekend. More than any other race, I feel so much support from coworkers, my husband, and friends. I know that when I am out on the course, I will think of all who are cheering me on, and it will help pull me out of the "dark side".



My goals for the race are pretty simple:

  • Have fun
  • Finish by the 8 hour cutoff
  • Start off slow and conservative
  • Walk the uphills if needed
  • Meet new people and enjoy the trail
I would love to win an "ultra virgin" award given to the fastest ultra virgin, but I'll be happy just to finish. 

My mantra is taken from Kara Goucher's Do Not Open Until Race Day Letter to the Oiselle Volee: 

I am ready. I am powerful. And I belong. 

I know these things to be true, but when I need a reminder, this will be running through my head. Even if I have to crawl to the finish line, I know that I will finish because after all these years of endurance running, I know that I never quit.



I can't wait to earn one of these hand painted awards!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running