Earth Day 50k Training Update - 2 weeks to go!

Hooray, I made it to the taper! This past weekend I finished my last long run and the next 13 days will be spent focusing on recovery. Looking back over the past few months, it feels like this day would never come.

Here was my plan for the week:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 3 mile run, Jasyoga - Hip Strength/Stability, Functional Core
Wednesday: Hip, Quad, Hip Flexor, and Core Strength training
Thursday: Speed run: 6 X 5 min on, 1 min off with 15 min warmup and 5 min cool down
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 18 mile long run, Jasyoga - Quick Post LR Reset
Sunday: 5 miles easy, Jasyoga - High Mileage Reset

We had horrible weather on Wednesday which kept me inside instead of doing my 3 mile run. However, I figured that staying indoors and working on hip mobility and strength was better than running in the rain and falling/getting injured or getting sick so close to race day. I doubt 3 miles is going to make or break my race.

Thursday the rain stopped so I was able to get outside for the speedwork, however most of the trail was flooded and the wind was blowing 50 mph gusts! I felt as if I had no breath most of the run and had to run slower than I usually would run speedwork, yet somehow my garmin told me I ran my fastest 5k time ever. Go figure.

Saturday was my last long run, and I decided to head to a different trail that I have avoided ever since I had probably the worst long run of the training plan (see post here). Thankfully this run went 100% better than it did back in February. It really opened my eyes to how much has changed. That run taught me more than anything that I needed to focus on my hydration and nutrition. I made drastic changes after that run, and I am so thankful I returned and proved to myself that I made progress on something that I never really thought was a problem until I started going further and longer. Saturday's run went so well and it was all that I could have asked for as a last long run. I hate when the last long run does not go well and then I doubt myself for the entire taper. I felt strong, well hydrated and fueled, and like I still had plenty of strength left in my legs. I worked on walking the climbs, proper hill descents, and better pacing in the beginning. It truly was one of the best race practices I could have asked for.

mmmm warm rice bar on the trail

So now it is time to taper. I still have one speed run left, but most of my other runs are just short, easy miles until race day. I am really getting excited for the race. I am definitely nervous, and know that it is not going to be easy, but I also know I have worked really hard to train my body and mind for what will be the most difficult race of my life yet. However, I also hope it is one of the most fun.

Taper time means time to stop and smell the flowers


Highlights/Observations of the Week:

  • I finally notice my core work paying off. I feel stronger on the trail and my upper body does not fatigue as much. I don't feel like I am hunching over in the later miles.
  • My feet still hurt a lot. I am going to practice tying my laces in a different way to see if that helps.
  • I still dislike morning running.....a lot
  • I listened to a podcast where one of the guests said that you will feel pain and experience low points in a race. That means you are doing something right. The more you can practice how to pull yourself out of those places, the more prepared you will be for race day. I feel like I have practiced this every long run and have gotten better at recognizing when I need to use mental tricks to bring myself out of the funk I feel
  • I can totally tell when my fuel kicks in. Ill eat something and about a mile, two miles later, I feel clear headed, energetic, and positive again. 
  • I didnt lose any weight this week, which means I successfully fueled right
  • This drink is amazing. I always drink tart cherry juice after long runs, but the addition of the watermelon makes it such a yummy drink to have on a hot day. My husband put this in the freezer for me and it was like a slushy.

I am fairly certain I will stay sane during this taper because I think I am going to really enjoy it. I'll let you know next week if the taper crazies have hit met, but for now, rest is my best friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running