Earth Day 50k Training Update - 3 weeks to go!

It is now officially April and that means my race is in 20 days!!!! The nerves and excitement are starting to set in. Yesterday I had my second 20 mile run and it is definitely sinking in that this is going to be happening...soon.


First things first, my March mileage was 122 miles which is about 30 miles more than February. I expected the mileage to be higher because I feel like all I do is run, but most of my mid-week runs are relatively easy and short.

Here was my plan for this past week:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Hill workout: 1-3-5-7-5-1 min on with half time recovery in between. 10 min warm up with a 5 min cool down, Jasyoga - 5 min hamstring reset
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 3 miles easy, 18 min core workout
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 20 miles long
Sunday: 7 miles, Jasyoga - Preventative Medicine for your Lower legs/Feet

Tuesday was my last hill workout!! I was thankful to be able to do it in the daylight after work, and I made it count. On the last 7 min uphill I pushed myself until I almost threw up, but I felt strong and capable. I made sure to stretch out my hamstrings with Jasyoga afterwards since I always feel tight after a hill or speed workout.

Hills got nothing on me
Saturday's long run was quite warm and I practiced better hydration and played around with more nutrition options on the trails. I practiced my hill descents and trying to be light and quick with my feet so as not to pound my legs down the hills. I think I did really well with this. I also took my new Altra Olympus shoes for a test drive on half of the run and really enjoyed the additional cushion. This 20 miler was 9 minutes faster than my last 20 miler on the same trail. I like to think this is because I have learned a few things since then and that I am stronger.

New shorts, new shoes!

I was pretty beat afterwards, so I laid on the floor with my legs up the wall for quite some time.


Highlights/Observations of the Week:

  • Long runs are perfect for binge listening to the S Town podcast! I am addicted
  • The extra time you make for recovery is worth it. Even though it was 5 minutes on Tuesday, I quickly recovered from a tough run because I made the time
  • There will always be a moment in a race or run where things suck. It happens to all of us. It doesn't mean the run is "bad" or that you are bad as a runner, it just means that you have the chance to practice how you pull yourself out of that situation or mood. I have had many moments on long runs where I felt beat and defeated, but I am working on pulling myself out of those dark spaces and I will be prepared on race day
  • I now appreciate the Hansons plan even more, now that I am spending so much of my weekends running. The 16 mile max long run in the Hansons plan was such a nice distance for the weekend that didnt leave you completely exhausted afterwards
  • After 4 weeks of long runs, I am finally feeling stronger at this distance
  • I lost another pound. I still need to eat ALL the food. I am hungry all the time. I am eating all the time. Ultra running is a negative calorie sport. It is so difficult to eat what you burned. I am struggling with this
This week is the final week of the plan before the taper. I am really excited to start tapering. The rest is going to be so wonderful and my body needs it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running