Earth Day 50k Training Update - 6 days to go!

It's here...the final week leading up to my first 50k. There are times when I feel like I've been training forever and I just want race day to get here, and other days where I wonder if it was enough. Fortunately I had another great week of training that has bolstered my confidence going into the last week of the taper.

Here was my schedule for the week:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: Speedwork: 5 X 5 min on, 1 min off, with 10 min warm up and 5 min cool down, Jasyoga - 5 min hamstring reset
Thursday: 3 miles, 17 min pilates core workout, SPORTS MASSAGE!!!!
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 10 miles long, Jasyoga- Hip Mobility Maintenance
Sunday: 4 miles easy

The best highlight of the week was my sports massage. Oh it was so wonderful! The two consecutive days of rest were also much appreciated by my body. When I did speedwork on Wednesday, I ran my fastest set yet on fresh legs.

The plan for Saturday called for 8-10 miles, and it was so beautiful out that I ended up running 10 miles. It was quite warm for April, 83 degrees, but I couldn't help but enjoy the trail instead of focusing on the heat. I was surprised how great I felt after 10 miles. I used to think 10 miles was challenging at times, but it felt like a nice reprieve.

Last long run on my favorite trail

Highlights/Observations of the Week:

  • I feel ready, both physically and mentally
  • The High Mileage Reset Jasyoga video is probably the greatest yoga sequence, ever
  • Try lacing your shoes differently if you feel discomfort with your shoes. I did this to open up the top of my foot due to high arches, and it made a huge difference in the comfort of my shoes
  • The Oiselle Flyout collection is the best. The shorts are amazing, and the tank, which I wore during my 83 degree long run was almost completely dry afterwards. If you sweat a lot and run on trails, you need these items
  • Easter candy makes good running fuel :)

My plans for the coming week are:
  • Prepare my race day list of items
  • Food schedule for my husband so he knows what I will need each time I head into the aid station after each loop
  • Daily yoga and meditation
  • Increase my carbs to at least 75% starting on Thursday
  • Extra sleep in the mornings if I can
  • Skip one of the scheduled runs if I feel that I need the additional rest
I will check back in midweek to write about a few pre-race things, but for now, send me all your positive vibes and well wishes!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running