Chicago Marathon Training Week 9

9 weeks down, 7 weeks to go! Another difficult, but great week of training in the books. I think this week was more mentally challenging vs physically challenging. The hot, humid temps came back in full force, and I had to complete my very least favorite speed workout - Yasso 800s.



Here was how my week went:

Sunday: 5.24 easy miles, Jasyoga - Preventative Medicine for Lower Legs and Feet
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 3.23 easy miles, strength training
Wednesday: Speed run - 8 X 800m speed pace with equal recovery, warm-up and cool down
Thursday: Strength training
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 18 miles long
Total: 34.05 miles

Friends make the miles go by quickly
Tuesday's easy run was done with my Oiselle IL team and with Naperville Running Company. As always, it was nice to run with others just for fun, and despite the steamy weather, it ended up being a beautiful night.

I was not ready...clearly..if you can find me
Ideally, I probably could have used a rest day after the easy fun run before the Yasso 800s, because I woke up and my hamstrings were sore. That is probably the worst feeling to have before starting a speed run, but I probably could use any excuse why I dont want to do this run. It was a warm day and I felt the challenge on about the second rep, and it took just about everything in my mind to keep on going. I had a constant internal battle with myself where I was trying to talk my brain into stopping early, yet I had to shut that part of me up. I think I dislike this run so much because it makes me feel the things I feel towards the end of the marathon when I am tired, everything hurts, and I want to stop. Yet I have to constantly talk to myself to keep going, and that is how this run makes me feel. This is why it is ultimately one of the most important speed workouts I can do. Not because I want to improve my speed, but because I need to confront the feelings of discomfort that I have and embrace them. 
The feeling of finishing a challenging run
Saturday's 18 miler went pretty smoothly for about the first 12 miles. I enjoyed hitting up two trails that I havent run on in a while, and was so excited to run on one that is relatively new. It was an uphill climb for about a mile, but when I came back down and was flying fast, a deer came out and starting running down with me and it was such a beautiful moment. Unfortunately on the 3rd trail, I encountered a man on a bike that made me feel uncomfortable, and I spent the rest of the miles feeling nervous and looking over my shoulder. This trail was much more secluded and without the foot traffic the other trails saw, so I know I won't be returning alone. The run was already challenging enough to fight to make it to the end without having to worry about my safety. The temperature also rose to almost 90 degrees by the time I finished, and I was really dehydrated and just mentally done. 

Ive been doing a lot of foam rolling this week as my legs were feeling heavy and my hamstrings tight. The R8 that I've written about before has been my best and worst friend - it hurts so good! But, there is nothing that compares to how I feel once I've used it. It brings immediate relief and my legs feel so much lighter afterwards. 

This coming week is a cut-back week (yay!!) so I am really looking forward to it. It also happens to coincide with my sports massage, so this will be a great week for some active recovery. Despite the increase in mileage, I feel pretty great, and compared to the 45 mpw I was running around this time last year on Hansons, I actually find that I feel just as challenged. I think my body enjoys the McMillan plan much more. 

Comments

  1. Nice week! Since I'm not training it's nice to live vicariously through others that are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Im sure it must be hard when you wish you were training too, but Im glad to see that you are getting in some runs and enjoying some pretty nice scenery!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

Year of Running 2016

Miles vs Time