Chicago Marathon Training Week 12

I can't believe the marathon is a month away! A few weeks ago it felt like there was still a lot of time to train, but suddenly I look at my training schedule and see that it is almost time to taper. Fall is my favorite time of year, and now that the weather has started to cool off and all things pumpkin have popped up, I am ready to run in my favorite season.

I had a difficult time recovering from my 20 mile long run so this week's training was rough. Despite my usual habits of foam rolling, using the R8 roller, Jasyoga, and eating and drinking all things anti-inflammatory, I still experienced a lot of soreness as well as some pain in my left calf that lingered most of the week. It really goes to show how much a long run can take out of you. I was also concerned that I wouldn't feel fantastic for my half marathon on Sunday, which is one of the reasons I hesitated signing up for the race. With this in mind, I altered my training for extra recovery, and so I could head into my race and my highest mileage week of the program feeling great.

Here was my week:

Sunday: 4 easy miles, Jasyoga - High Mileage Reset
Monday: Strength training, Jasyoga - 5 min Quad Reset,  6 min Calf Reset
Tuesday: Yasso 800's, Strength training, Jasyoga - Booty Lock Mitigation
Wednesday: Progression run - 125 minutes with 15 minutes faster than race pace
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 7 miles, with 6 miles at race pace
Saturday: Jasyoga - Flexible running hamstrings
Total: 24.61 miles

As you can see, I did a lot of yoga this week to aid in my overall soreness and trouble spots. The R8 and "the stick" were my bestest of friends.

Hurts so good

I had the dreaded Yasso 800's on Tuesday, which happened to coincide with my IL Oiselle team's Track Tuesday of the month. While I still really dislike the Yassos, they were not so bad with company. We started our track workouts in the dark, watched the sun come up, and finished with coffee. It was not a bad way to start my morning, and I was able to stay within my prescribed speed range for the 800's. Somehow 800m doesn't seem so far on a track as it does on a trail with hills.

Coffee is mandatory for 530 am track time

The progression run went really well, and I ended the run on a strong note. I am starting to really appreciate these runs because they force me to slow down and adequately pace. Thursday I also enjoyed a nourishing farm to table dinner that was so deeply satisfying that I really felt back to myself on Friday.

Love makes the world go round!

Probably the biggest alteration of the week was Saturday's run. I was scheduled to do 18 miles with 6 at race pace. Given how I felt most of the week, I chose to be cautious and did a shorter run on Friday with 6 miles at race pace and then used Saturday as an active recovery day before the half marathon. While I felt a tad guilty, this immediately went away when I listened to a Runners World Podcast with Kara Goucher where she talked about comparison. Often we feel we should do more or train like we see others, but ultimately we need to do what's right for us. It would be easy for me to run 18 miles and go into a half marathon so I could have high weekly mileage and say that I "stuck to my marathon plan", but that wouldn't be doing what is right for me. My body was basically screaming at me all week that I needed extra rest, so I listened. I've marathon trained enough now to know that it's smarter to listen than to fall into the comparison trap and do what everyone else is doing.

I know that this will not be my best or fastest half marathon, but I sure hope it is one of my most fun ones. I very rarely have run a race just for "fun". Usually I have a time goal and this time I have no expectations. It is kind of liberating to not place any pressure on myself. Sure, I want to do and feel well, but the purpose of signing up for the race was not to PR or push myself to my limits. I wanted to run this course and enjoy trail time which translates into Happy Heather Time. I am pretty sure that on Chicago marathon race day, I will not regret that I chose to do this instead of an 18 mile long run.

Flat Heather Ready for Race Day!
I'll be back with a race recap, as I head into my highest mileage week yet of marathon training. BUT....that means the taper is right around the corner!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running