Paleozoic Trail 25k Race Recap

Yesterday I ran the Paleozoic Cambrian Fall Trail 25k, which was my first race post-Chicago marathon and the longest I have run since the race. Initially I was considering the 50k when I was signing up, and while I would definitely consider the 50k in the future, I'm glad I went "easy" on myself and stuck to the 25k.

The race was run on the Palos Woods trail system, which I have run sections on previously. Like most local trail races, this was a pretty laid back affair. There was no pre-race packet pickup, and while there was great communication from the race director regarding trail conditions the night before, most people strolled in to get their bib and timing chip close to the start of the race. The 50k started at 8:30 with the 25k an hour later. I arrived just as the 50k runners were starting, and I recognized many faces from the Earth Day 50k race that I ran with for a few laps. There were probably about 50 runners or so which made for a reunion type feeling as everyone know at least someone.

I had to wait about an hour for the 25k race and it was freaking cold. I tried to stay as warm as possible, but was hard despite my layers. I was ready to get running and was glad when we were told our group could wait by the start/finish line. There were only about a 100 25k runners so the group was fairly small which made for a great trail experience. Once we headed off through the grass onto the trail, people were well spaced out and while I ran with a few people almost the entire race, there were sections I was by myself. After my Chicago marathon experience dodging people left and right, I really enjoyed the feeling of being able to run how I wanted to run without having to worry about people all around me.

Ready to run!
The course was a down and back that the 25k runners did once and the 50k runners twice. There were two aid stations - 1 unmanned and 1 that was fully stocked with volunteers at the turn around point. The course was really well marked. Despite the leaves that were everywhere, there were flags, spray painted arrows, and orange plates staked down, so even during sections where I was by myself and the trail split off, I had a good idea of where I was going. And the course...it was spectacular. Golden leaves covered the trail and it was like running in an autumnal dream land. With the smell of bonfire in the air during the turn around point, I felt like I was in my own version of heaven.

Heading to the finish
I did well with my hydration and fueling, despite my gels coming close to the point of freezing. I had put a hand warmer in my pack to warm the gels, but they were still pretty thick and hard. I used Nuun performance mixed with a regular Nuun tab, and while I never felt very thirsty because I was cold, I forced myself to drink, especially on the ascents. I could tell I didn't drink as much water as I did Nuun, and I never really felt hungry either and considered not taking a gel, but I'm glad I stuck to what has been working all summer and fall despite the weather making it seem unappealing. I think this helped me fight off fatigue.

Overall I had one of my strongest trail performances to date. I never really felt tired, and while the effort at the end did not reflect my overall pace, I ran a consistent pace. There were some miles that were slower than others due to climbing some massive steep hills (which were just cruel at the end), but that was reflective of the hills and not slowing down due to fatigue. I ran in a state of runners high almost the entire time because I enjoyed the course, the people, and I felt great. I wasn't sure what to expect a month after a marathon, but clearly the rest and return to regular running did me some good and I was ready to fly again. I also noticed a huge difference in my stability. There were a lot of rocky sections and I had a few close calls, but I ran with confidence and never fell. I was able to stabilize and run some steep rocky downhills without being afraid I would wipe out. Towards the end I started to pass people and this added to my overall confidence as I realized I was not fatiguing and was still feeling strong. I finished strong despite the grassy area you had to run on to get to the finish line, and enjoyed some beer! It took a long time for my body temperature to regulate again, but overall I felt comfortable when I was running.

Cold but happy
I would definitely run this race again, and would consider it next year for the 50k. It was much more runnable than the Earth Day 50k, and while I didn't pace myself yesterday for a 50k, I think that I would have enjoyed the race experience if I had run it much more than my first 50k attempt. Maybe it is a combination of truly knowing what type of race I enjoy now more than ever and my improved fitness, but I really believe my enjoyment has come from choosing races that speak to me as a runner. Even though I really did enjoy the Chicago marathon and had a good performance, I couldnt help but think of how much more I would have enjoyed it without all the people and the drama you see sometimes. I really like the atmosphere of a small local trail race. Everyone is just happy and wants to be there. Sure there are difficult times and emotions that range from sadness to pure happiness, but people generally want to be out there and encourage each other. I am really looking forward to my spring 50k after yesterday's race. There are still days that remember how much I struggled and how I don't want to go through that again, but I think after such an amazing day at the Paleozoic race, I see that it is possible and I have gotten stronger physically and mentally since my last 50k.

I really encourage anyone local to check out this race, and for anyone on the fence about trying a trail race, do it! You may find you like the race and the community a lot more.

Recovery done right

Comments

  1. I'm glad you had such a great time! Makes me want to run a trail race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! and you definitely should..you have some pretty great scenery out by you, Im sure there are some great trail races. Im doing a 50k in PA in May.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running