Gearing Up for the GRT 50k

Tomorrow I start officially training for the Glacier Ridge Trail 50k on May 12th. Similar to my recaps for the 2016 and 2017 Chicago Marathon and my first 50k, Earth Day, I will be posting weekly detailing my overall training.

Why the Glacier Ridge Trail 50k?
The race is out of state in PA and my parents have been teasing me for years to run a race near where they live. As I decided last year to focus on trail races, I searched for a 50k near their town and had initially considered the GRT for my first 50k. Having now finished my first 50k I am also aware of criteria for a 50k that I think will help me to succeed. First and foremost, no looped courses! The 6 loops I completed during the Earth Day race drove me crazy and mentally put me in a dark spot. The GRT is a down and back course with no actual looping. Once I am out on the course, I won't return to the start until I finish. I also reviewed the course and I found it to be more runnable (aka less rocky and full of roots) than Earth Day.


Training Plan
I've had a lot of success with the McMillan training plans, especially for the marathon, and I enjoy the overall structure. I signed up for a custom plan designed specifically for me by a McMillan coach. My coach happens to be Emily Harrison who won JFK 50 this year, so I'd say I am in good hands. I was able to provide information as to my current level of training, previous race times, things I like in a plan, what I dislike, what days I like to run and have off, cross training I do, and Emily provided me with an 18 week plan with all of this in mind. It is a time-based plan which may be hard for me initially since I typically train in miles, however I think this will help me focus on easy running for easy days as I won't be thinking of how many miles I have, rather a commitment of time. It will also give me that "time on feet" that I need for an ultra marathon. The plan has 4 days of running, with a 5th day that can be used for cross training only, or a run. I am really excited to dive into the plan and see how it goes.

In addition to the plan I am also following McMillan's Prehab, Core, and Strength programs. The prehab program provides a simple 5 minute routine each week to do before a run. The core routine is followed 2-3 times a week and builds in difficulty over time. Similarly, the strength program is also followed 2-3 times a week and increases from stability to strength over time. I am hoping these programs keep me injury free and strong.


My Goals
My goals for training and the race are as follows:
  • Stick with the prehab/core/strength program as well as the TRX, yoga, and balance exercises I currently do. Don't ignore these when I am feeling tired!
  • Continue to experiment with natural fueling instead of gels and bars
  • Work on post-run fueling
  • Have fun! I want to enjoy this race. As proud as I am of Earth Day, I am sad when I look back and think of how upset I was most of the race. I want to enjoy the course, the people, and the overall experience
Thankfully my plan starts with a rest day tomorrow, so I can't complain about that!


Comments

  1. Good luck with the start of your training! I've done training by time before and it's tough. Sounds like it's the right choice though for a 50k.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running