Happy New Year!

Happy 2018! A new year with exciting things ahead. I've been enjoying some "down" time from blogging and lowering my running mileage, but I am excited to start training for my 50k next week.



What I've been up to:

1. I finished the McMillan 6 Week Endurance Plan. Overall I enjoyed the plan as it kept me moving these past 6 weeks when it was cold and snowy outside. The lower mileage ended up being nice as I found that I needed the rest more than I realized when I started the plan. The plan ended last week with a challenging 7 mile tempo run, and I can tell that overall my endurance has improved.

2. I ran a Turkey Trot with my husband on Thanksgiving. We both ended up with new 5k PR's, and had fun running together.



3. I experienced some knee pain and took a few days off. It taught me that it is important to take care of myself in the "off" season and that I don't need to push the mileage.

4. I challenged myself and ran a 50k relay last weekend with some of my Oiselle Volee teammates. It was extremely cold and snowy, but I had a blast.



5. I signed up for my first 50 mile race - the Hennepin 100 (I'll be doing the 50) in October. After being inspired by one of my friends and her 50 mile experience, I decided to bite the bullet and go after something I've pondered (and have been scared of) for a while.

Overall 2017 ended up being a great year for me. The year started with a lot of unknowns as I was unemployed then started a new job, trained for a 50k which was a new distance, and began running with our local Oiselle IL suburban team on a regular basis. I was continually challenging myself to do things I normally would shy away from, and I was never disappointed any time that I stepped outside of my comfort zone. I am looking forward to more of these experiences in 2018, especially as I tackle new distances.



Our Oiselle IL team recently put out the question of 2018 running goals. Here are mine.

1. Enjoy my second 50k race
2. Complete my first 50 mile race
3. Stay healthy and injury-free

Thanks for sticking with me this long, and you can look forward to reading about my training for the Glacier Ridge 50k in the coming weeks.

Happy New Year!

Comments

  1. What an inspiring post Heather! I hope 2018 brings you great things. Hopefully we can meet this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and Happy New Year to you! I hope we can as well, it is much overdue!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running