GRT 50k Training Week 4

Week 4 - cut back week! Each 4 week training block of my 50k training plan is a cut back week, where mileage is decreased and I can decide to skip a run and take an extra rest day if needed. It could not have coincided better with a last minute trip to Austin. I was able to take an extra rest day and enjoy my trip.

Here was what week 4 looked like:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Option to run 50 easy minutes or Stride Run
Wednesday: 50-65 min easy run
Thursday: Thirds Progression run: 90 min
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest
Total: 16.45 miles
McMillian 3hab, Strength, Core programs 2-3 times per week


Heading into recovery week

On Tuesday I chose to run the Stride workout since I was taking an extra rest day. The stride workout was 12, 20 second strides starting at 5k race pace progressing down to 1 mile race pace, with a warm-up and cool down. I felt really good during this workout and was glad I chose to do some speedwork instead of an easy run.

I did my thirds progression run in Austin, and enjoyed being outdoors. The Thirds Progression run is running in 30 minute blocks of time, getting faster each third.

Runner Highs:
  • Stride run: I felt really strong on this run and I was impressed with my pace on the faster repeats
  • Prehab: I completed all of the prehab this week, which focused on the glutes. Another problem area for me, so I really made it a priority to do these few exercises before my run
  • Recovery: I enjoyed my extra day off and did not feel guilty at reducing my mileage and skipping cross training
Challenges:
  • Treadmill: Just when I think I can come to terms with the treadmill, I slip backwards. I had to run on the treadmill for my easy run on Wednesday before traveling, and I felt as if the 50 minutes lasted forever. I was so bored and couldn't wait to be done. With winter still showing it's ugly face, I know I have many more runs to do on the treadmill and I really need to improve my experience when having to run on it.
  • Weather: The winter weather was pretty miserable, and I struggled running in the wind and cold. While I know these types of runs challenge me both physically and mentally, I couldn't help but finish feeling a little beat up and exhausted from an effort that should not have been that difficult had the weather been a lot nicer
Week 5 begins a new training phase - the Pre-50k phase. I am looking forward to some new and more demanding runs and focusing on the next training block. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running