GRT 50k Training Week 6

With Week 6 out of the way, I am officially one third of the way done with my training. Thinking about it that way really puts things into perspective. A lot of the time during training, especially in the early stages, it is hard to picture race day. I tend to think about all the work that is ahead of me. I can definitely say that continuing with the "Pre-50k" phase has really started to challenge me, but also shown me how my fitness has continued to improve as the weeks have gone by.

Here was what Week 6 looked like:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Hill Repeats
Wednesday: XT
Thursday: 70-90 min long run
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 2-2.5 hours long run, Jasyoga - Quick Hip Reset
Sunday: 50-70 min easy run, Jasyoga- Full Body Reset
Total: 29.56 miles
McMillian 3hab, Strength, Core programs 2-3 times per week

I have never done hill repeats on the treadmill, as obviously the real thing is preferred. Yet with the current snow situation happening in IL, there was only the treadmill. Thankfully I was able to adjust the workout for the treadmill, and use grade. The workout consisted of a warm-up and cool down, with 6 x 1 minute seconds up a 6% grade "hill", and 1 minute recovery "back down". It was definitely challenging, even on a treadmill, and I worked up a good sweat. It was one of the treadmill workouts that I was not bored by. Hopefully my future hill workouts can be on actual hills, but if not, at least I know I can do this on the 'mill.


Runner Highs:
  • Mid-week long run: It is always satisfying to complete a longer-ish run during the week. I always dread it before it happens, but afterwards, I feel pretty awesome.
  • Habits: I got in all of the prehab, strength, and core workouts, even though I am finding them boring (as mentioned in my previous post). Thankfully I move on to a new core program next week, which should help with my boredom, and I did find the prehab routine, which was the thoracic, to be interesting. I do not typically have back pain, but it felt really good to do this routine and roll out my back prior to a run. 
Challenges:
  • Weather: No surprise here....the weather made it hard to get outside. I was able to do my mid-week long run outdoors as the weather actually warmed up quite a bit, but I found myself frustrated as I wasted a half mile walking through icy slush, soaking my socks and shoes. While it was still a half mile of moving, I just wanted to be able to run on the trail instead of the street. 
  • Injury: My knee pain was rearing it's ugly head this week. While I am making a lot of effort to strengthen my glutes and hips, it is frustrating that some weeks I have little to no knee pain, with other weeks with more. I am gradually increasing my miles and focusing on my stride, but unfortunately this continues to be an issue. 
Week 7 will be my first 30+ miles week, and I will have to do some shuffling around of workouts due to a crazy week ahead, but I am feeling ready. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

Year of Running 2016

Miles vs Time