GRT 50k Training Week 7

I am finally through the third week of this training Pre-50k training block, and into a cut-back week again. I couldn't be happier! Week 7 was both a week of some really great runs, but also one not-so-great run. Nevertheless, it was a week of feeling humble and allowing myself to learn.

Here was my week:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 50-70 min easy run
Wednesday: Fartlek workout
Thursday: XT, Sports Massage!
Friday: 75-90 min long run
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: 2 to 3 hours, Jasyoga - Post-workout Recovery
Total: 31.65 miles
McMillian 3hab, Strength, Core programs 2-3 times per week

I had to do a lot of switching around of runs this week. Tuesday was my Oiselle IL Flight night, so I ran a few easy miles earlier in the day and finished up at night. Due to an event on Saturday, I moved my long run to Sunday and did Sunday's run on Friday. This was not an ideal situation, but it was better than skipping a run which is something I might have done in the past. I am staying committed to no excuses, so I made this work the best I could.

The Fartlek run is basically the same as what I did in Week 5, except the interval was 5 minutes instead of 2 minutes, and I completed 4 intervals with a 3 minute recovery interval after each fartlek. The pace was also a little slower at Half Marathon pace instead of 10k race pace. Despite a lot of flooding outside, I was able to get this run in on the road and found some nice steep hills to make it more challenging.

Flooded trail

Runner Highs:

  • Long Run #1: My first long run went really well and I felt strong the entire time. I even finished with my last mile as my fastest and felt like I could keep running. This gave me a lot of confidence.
  • Mental Strength: Tuesday night's run was in the rain, which was initially hard to get myself out the door, but once I was running with a friend, I felt great. Not only does running the rain up your badass ranking, but it does wonders for your mental strength. 
  • Making it Work: I was proud that I got in all the runs for the week, despite having to move a lot around to accommodate life. Thankfully this is not every week and I can give myself some grace for the fact that I did the best I could.
Challenges:
  • Long Run #2: My longest run on Sunday did not go well. It was pretty much a sufferfest. While I choose to focus on the positive, which is that I saw the run through and finished regardless of how much I wanted to stop, and I also learned a lot. I learned that proper hydration and nutrition, along with rest can make or break my run. While I already know these things, sometimes I think that I can "get away" with one bad night and in this case, I couldn't. While I had a great time with friends on Saturday, I paid for it dearly during my run. But I reminded myself that I did this to myself and instead of being angry, I can just move on. I will have other runs that will be great and this is just one step in my journey to 50k. 
  • Hydration/Nutrition: After that last point, it is clear that I struggled with this, not just for the long run, but the week in general. While I feel like I have the physical part of recovery down well (foam rolling, massage, yoga, etc.), sometimes I am not great about fueling after a long effort and I think this wore me down by the end of the week. 
I am definitely looking forward to Week 8 and my cut-back in mileage. Coming off my highest mileage week yet, I think this is just what I need as I enter the next training block which is the 50k specific phase. I am glad I learned a few things this week that I can bring with me to help give me a strong performance in the next block. 

Comments

  1. Are you getting more use to running my minutes yet? I'm really looking forward to following you as you enter your 50k training block! It's interesting to me since I've never ran a distance that long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like running by minutes. It was a hard change to make, but I really enjoy it now. I am going to write a post about it soon since I get so many questions about it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running