GRT 50k Training Week 10

For some reason week 10 has a weight to it. Now we are in the double digits of weeks of training, and it is more of a count down now to race day. Coming off a high mileage week I was glad for a little drop in mileage as well as a reprieve from the back to back long runs for a week.

Here is what my week looked like:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Ladder Fartlek workout
Wednesday: XT
Thursday: 50-70 min easy run
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 3 to 4 hour fast finish long run
Sunday: 50-70 min recovery run, Jasyoga - High Mileage Reset
Total: 33.3 miles
McMillian 3hab, Strength, Core programs 2-3 times per week

The Ladder Fartlek workout was a fun change after two weeks of hill repeats and no speedwork. Admittedly it was difficult as my legs were still feeling heavy from last week's back to back long runs, but I was able to progress through the run and felt strong by the end. The ladder is a 5-4-3-2-1 minute run starting at half marathon race pace to 5k race pace, with 2 minutes of recovery in between each run segment. I struggled with the first few minutes at a slower pace as it felt REALLY slow, but I was able to get to where I needed to be for each "rung" of the ladder. 

I was nervous about the fast finish long run. While I knew I would finish the 4 hours, I was worried about whether I could finish at a faster/harder effort. But that is where I really focused on my coach's notes. It isn't necessarily running at a faster pace, rather the effort is what counts as well. As pacing has been a struggle for me, these are exactly the types of runs I need, and while it was very difficult to finish at a harder effort on legs that had been running for almost 4 hours I was pretty pleased with my pacing. My fast finish was not the 15 minutes it was supposed to be, but I gave my last half mile a good sprint the best that I could. 


Sun and shorts!

Runner Highs:
  • Cross Training: To help combat the fatigue I have been feeling each week, I took it easier on cross training day. I knew I would be gearing up for the 4 hour run and the last thing I needed was to go into it feeling fatigue and soreness. This was hard for me to do as I enjoy some of my more high intensity cross training routines, but I am glad set myself up to succeed on the long run.
  • Recovery Run: I had such an amazing run on Sunday after my long run. I thought it was going to be a slog on legs that felt like dead weights, but I felt great. I was able to push the pace at times and really enjoyed my run. It was probably a mixture of sun and 55 degree weather, but I couldn't have asked for a better recovery run. 
  • Mental Strength: I felt so positive during both of my weekend runs. I didn't let any negative thoughts or doubts cloud my mind, and even during some difficult miles in the middle of my long run, I still focused on enjoying my run. 

Challenges:
  • Recovery: Recovery was challenging this week. I had hoped after a rest day on Monday I would feel "fresher" on Tuesday, but I still had dead legs. I've made foam rolling and yoga a part of my every day routine and that has helped, but I can tell I don't quite have the spring in my step that I should, and my easy runs feel more challenging and I am running them more slowly. 
  • Balance: The last two weeks I have had to balance family/friend obligations right after my long runs, and this has been really hard. I definitely haven't fueled properly afterwards because I am rushing out the door, and then find myself not getting enough sleep to adequately recover. I joke that people need to stop asking me to do things on Saturday's, but I am actually really serious because it is getting exhausting. It is hard to make choices like this, between being a good friend/wife/family member, but I am really struggling right now. 
  • Prehab: I sucked at this. I did it 2 out of the 4 days I ran, and there really is no excuse other than I didn't want to make time. 
I actually get a cut-back week next week! In preparation for a race on Saturday (that I am not really going to race), I have a lower mileage week. This will be a nice break coming off two weekends of long runs. My body definitely needs the extra rest, and hopefully I will feel great come race day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running