GRT 50k Training Week 8

Week 8 - the last week of the Pre-50k phase and a mileage cut-back week. While I probably didn't take advantage of the cut-back as much as I should have, I enjoyed only having one long run.

Here was what Week 8 looked like:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 45-60 min easy run
Wednesday: Hill Repeats
Thursday: XT
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 2 to 3 hour long run
Sunday: 40-50 min easy run, Jasyoga - Sunday Reset
Total: 29.31 miles
McMillian 3hab, Strength, Core programs 2-3 times per week

I switched around my hill repeat and easy run since Tuesday was another Oiselle IL team run. I ran earlier in the day because the weather was just amazing and I couldn't pass up an opportunity to run in shorts! The weather at night for our run was pretty fantastic as well, and we ran a bit further than usual. This put me over the 1 hour that was planned, but we took it nice and slow and I don't regret it one bit.


Sun, shorts, and 60 degrees!
I finally was able to do the hill repeats outside which was nice after the repeats in Week 6 that I had to do on the treadmill. I have long hill repeats coming up that probably will require the treadmill as access to a 5 minute uphill that I can get to in the week might be difficult, but it is good to know I have the option for the treadmill if needed. I am also one of those ultra runners that tends to walk the uphills, so it's a nice change to force myself to run up them from time to time!

I was a little nervous going into my long run after last week's challenging one, but I tried to be positive going into it. I focused on starting off very easy, and made sure to fuel and hydrate on schedule so I wouldn't hit any lows. While I realized I am still running my long runs too fast, overall I had a good run. There was a funeral procession that passed by when I was waiting at a road crossing, and I took some time to reflect on how lucky I am to be able to run and challenge myself, as that is when I feel most alive. Even though it was a morbid moment, it helped me during the run when I started to wish for it to be over. I am very grateful that I can run and that I am not afraid to push myself to do things that scare me. 

Runner Highs:

  • Weather: Oh the weather was so wonderful this week! Two days of sunshine and 60 degrees, which lifted my spirits and made my runs enjoyable.
  • Strength/Core: I finally entered into the next Core stage, and it was exactly what I needed to start to enjoy the routine again. In regards to the Strength routine, I am out of the Stability phase and into the first Strength phase, and I am also enjoy this routine much more. For now, it doesn't feel like work to get these in and I think I am finally noticing how they are helping me during my runs.
  • Hill Repeats: I felt really strong during this specific workout, and while some runs I find I am tired by the cool down, I could feel my legs still pumping with strength to the very end.
  • Knee Pain: I didn't have any! Finally, finally, finally, I think I have a handle on it. Because of the strength work I mentioned above, my glutes and quads are firing more and this is taking the strain off my knee. It is so much more enjoyable to run without pain!
Challenges:

  • Prehab: Despite the prehab being aimed activities you can do while sitting at a desk, I still only did these exercises twice this week. I had limited time on Saturday and Sunday and just headed out without making the effort. 
  • Fatigue: Even though this was a cutback week, I still felt very fatigued by the end of the week. When I was doing my cross training and long run, I felt a heaviness in my legs and an exhaustion that I felt was greater than what it should be. I am hoping that some extra rest and fuel will help this going into next week.
  • Pacing: My realization regarding long run pace was a good one to have, but I need to focus on slowing waaaaay down on the long runs. I need to push pride aside and go at a really slow pace that will ensure I can finish my run strong. Even though I am making an effort to not compare myself to myself last year, I did look at my long run paces and realized that I am running almost a minute faster now than some of them. I definitely need to slow it down. 

Next up in Week 9 is the start of the 50k specific training block and also the half way point of my training! With spring seemingly right around the corner, I am starting to really visualize the race in May and am getting excited. I am also looking ahead to my first race of 2018 coming up on March 24th where I can put my training to a "test" of sorts on the trails and use the race as a training run. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running