GRT 50k Training Week 12

Twelve weeks down, six weeks to go! Are we having fun yet? This was another solid week of training to add to my bank of miles. I think this mentality has helped me get through some difficult weeks, as it really does help to think of each run as a step forward towards my end goal. When I feel as if I have no motivation to run or am exhausted, I remind myself that each run does matter. I really had to draw from this toward the end of my week as I was left both physically and mentally exhausted.

Week 12 in a nutshell:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 50-70 min easy run
Wednesday: Fartlek workout
Thursday: XT
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 3-4 hours long run
Sunday: 90-120 min long run, Jasyoga - Full Body Reset
Total: 39.58 miles
McMillian 3hab, Strength, Core programs 2-3 times per week

While my recovery from last week's 25k was pretty quick, I was dealing with tight hamstrings early on in the week which made my fartlek workout difficult to ease into. Thankfully I really focused on the prehab and extra foam rolling to get things loosened up a bit, and the 10 x 1 min fartleks at 5k race pace were manageable. 

Back to back long runs were back with a vengeance. This is really the bread and butter of 50k training, but it still is mentally hard to prepare for in addition to being physically challenging. My long run on Saturday did not go great. I believe there is always one really horrible run of a training cycle, and this was mine. The run started off fine enough, but around mile 15 I started to just feel pain everywhere. First it was my feet, then my calves, then my hamstrings, glutes, and lower back. I could think of nothing else. I tried to walk a bit and then run again, but each time it got harder and harder to run. At that point I was in a low spot mentally and just started walking to the end. I wanted nothing more than to lay down in the middle of the trail, which has never happened to be before. Typically I feel like as long as I can walk, I can keep going. The exhaustion that I felt was greater than anything I have experienced before. I tried to "work the problem" but even after reviewing my hydration and fueling, and doing both immediately, I still never felt better. What I was feeling more than just a "bonk" - it really was physical. A lot of times I get in my head and that is what holds me back or slows me down. This time my body just wasn't having it. 

Going into the second long run, I was obviously not looking forward to it. I told myself that I would just go out and see how I felt, and would run on the lower end of the range if needed. Despite going at a slower pace and feeling tired, I ended up running on the tail end of the range. I wouldn't say I felt "great", but I could keep moving and I felt fine mentally. The two hours passed relatively quickly, and I ended feeling proud of what I had accomplished. These runs are not supposed to be easy, and of course they challenge you in ways you cannot image. So I am glad I was able to end on a positive note and really appreciate what I accomplished in those two days. 

I survived back to back long runs


Runner Highs:

  • Time on Feet: I mean, 6 hours and 15 minutes in 24 hours is pretty amazing when you really think about it, no matter how slow or with some walking.
  • Mental Strength: This is also a challenge as well, but I am proud that I was able to let go of Saturday's bad run and head into Sunday's long run with a clean slate. There is no point in carrying baggage from another run. I know enough at this point to realize that one bad run doesn't really mean anything in the bigger picture.

Challenges:

  • Pacing: While I can't blame the fartlek or running at a faster pace with my running team on Tuesday as the reason my body hurt on Saturday, I do need to focus on slowing down. I thought I had made a point to do this at the start of my long run, but I had a few miles that were MUCH faster than they should have been and this may have contributed to the pain and exhaustion I felt.
  • Prehab: Similarly, I was dealing with tight hips and hamstrings all week from my 25k race. I did not do any prehab or foam rolling before Saturday's run, and this may have also played a part in how I felt. I really need to force myself to do this, even if I am rushing to get out the door.
Next week I have three long runs. Yes, three. It is hard to think about this at the moment, but I'll just take it a day at a time. These next few weeks are crucial leading up to race day, so while it may feel like running is a chore sometimes, I really do need to focus on the end goal and why I want this.

Comments

  1. You're half way through the week! I hope your triple long run week goes great despite the crappy weather!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! long run #1 went really well despite the snow!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running