GRT 50k Training Week 14

One month out from the Glacier Ridge Trail 50k! Week 14 was a big week. While the midweek runs were nothing out of the ordinary, this weekend brought my longest run yet - 5 hours. I struggled with motivation early on in the week, but seemed to find it by the week's end.

Here was how my week went:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Fartlek run
Wednesday: XT
Thursday: 50-70 min easy run
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 4-5 hours long run, Jasyoga - Recovery Boost
Sunday: 50-70 min recovery run, Jasyoga - Preventative Medicine for Lower Legs/Feet
Total: 38.04 miles

This week was challenging in that I kept thinking about the long run all week. I wanted to make sure I was prepared as possible, but I had a busy week and was eating out a lot and not getting enough sleep. I tried to do the best I could, but I felt tired and was having some leg fatigue and hamstring pain. It also didn't help that the weather for Saturday's long run was getting worse and worse. The thought of running 5 hours in rain and wind was so unappealing. Coming off an exhausting week last week, I was mentally tired and struggled to get out and run. 

Thankfully one of the reasons I was out late this week was to meet Scott Jurek! I attending his book launch, and after watching a film of his Appalachian trail FKT and hearing him speak, I was more inspired to get back in the game. I haven't finished the book yet, but I highly recommend picking a copy up (or listening to it on a run). I have found the book to be incredibly honest so far, and when I was watching the film it was very apparent how difficult this was for Scott to do. I appreciate this honesty as it is so easy for social media to portray elite athletes as having "supernatural powers" and that everything comes easy. This was a real look into how hard it was for Scott to get out of the van and into the driving rain to run his miles for the day. He also talked about finding passion again and I can really relate to a lot of what he discussed.

Scot Jurek!!
Saturday was my longest run of the training plan - 5 hours. While the weather was not great, with 30 mph winds and misting rain, it was not the driving rain I expected. I chose a trail that I would complete 3 loops to cover over 5 hours, and the weather scared everyone away and I had it to myself. I took the first loop very conservatively and slow. I focused on the timing of my hydration and fueling, and once I finished the first loop, I kept going into the second without having time to think about it. I struggled the most during the second loop. I still tried to keep the pace light and easy, but the trail conditions were getting worse as the ground turned to mushy mud and I was starting to feel cold. I was also having a hard time with my left shoe. The tongue was digging into my foot and finally I figured out that it was sort of folded and putting extra pressure on my foot and causing pain. While this really sucked, it now explains why I had foot pain during my long run a few weeks back that caused me to walk so much. It wasn't in my head, and now I can do something about it. After the second loop I stopped at my car, refilled my water and Nuun, fixed my shoe, and headed back out. I cranked up all of the songs from the Decemberists concert I attended on Tuesday, and just started singing. I was determined not to let this loop suck and even though my legs felt heavy at times, I had a better last loop that I could have expected. Mentally I was exactly where I needed to be. I was engaged in what I was doing, eating and drinking continuously, and I finished strong. Despite the weather, I couldn't have asked for a better longest run. 


Longest run done!
Runner Highs:
  • Meeting Scott Jurek: Obviously. However, this event was exactly what I needed to feel mentally ready to face my long run and continue with the last few weeks of training. 
  • Weather: I was able to run in 70 degree temps this week!! While I wish this had been Saturday's weather, it felt really good to get outside and not feel cold. Weather was also a challenge, however the taste of spring was much needed. In reality, even the rain and wind proved to me that I can still rise above it all and get it done. 
Sunshine and tank tops!
Challenges:
  • Mental Strength: As reflected above, I really struggled this week with running. I didn't feel the motivation or desire, and each run felt like a chore, or checking a box off instead of something I enjoyed. While I ended the week on a high note because of completing a challenging run, I need to stay focused for these last few weeks of training. 
  • Self Care: I had a lot of fun attending concerts and meeting Scott Jurek, but I didn't get much sleep and didn't eat or hydrate enough this week. I am looking forward to getting some extra rest this week and can hopefully make this a priority until race day.
Thankfully Week 15 is a recovery week! Oh how I need one of those. I also have a massage scheduled which could not have come at a better time. While I still have two more weeks to get through until I am really tapering, I finally feel like the hardest is behind me (other than the actual race of course!).


Comments

  1. That's a hell of a week!!!Congrats on tackling that big run in less than perfect conditions. I'm sure you'll bounce back after this cut back week. Peak weeks are rough.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running