GRT 50k Training Week 18

This is it, the final week! Race day is almost here and overall, I am feeling ready. Between checking the weather forecast hourly (alternating between rain and heat) and checking items off my to-do and packing lists, the time has flown by. 

From a running perspective, here is what my week looked like:

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Fartlek workout
Wednesday: Jasyoga - Recovery Boost for Runners, Sports Massage!
Thursday:  Rest
Friday: 30-40 min recovery run

I had the option of an easy run or fartlek on Tuesday, and I chose the fartlek simply to get my legs moving. I am glad I did because it felt good to run fast. The run was relatively short, about 4 miles, so it wasn't too taxing on my body, but gave my legs just enough turnover to feel good. I definitely have a case of the "taper legs", or just a general heaviness and lethargy that I know is normal, but still seems to make every run suck before a race.

As I mentioned, there has been a lot to get ready, especially given that I was traveling out of state for this race. It was really important to not forget anything, and I had my trail shoes packed days in advance as this is the one thing I was especially concerned about forgetting! Check out one of my older posts on the "night before routine" that I typically follow.

This week gave me time to reflect on my race goals. This training cycle I used the Believe Logbook  to write about each one of my runs. There is also a section to document your race goals, which I believe is really important when thinking about a race plan. Here are the goals I set for myself:

1. Beat my previous 50k time

  • Reasons: I didn't feel like my effort during my last 50k was representative of my training. I let the mental game beat me
  • Steps: I tried a new plan. I am trusting the plan even though at times it seems like I am doing less than others. I stuck with the plan, especially the core and strength workouts. I also did a lot of Bosu stability work so I don't fall and get discouraged
2. Have fun!
  • Reasons: I didn't enjoy my last race. I spent most of the time feeling sorry for myself. I want to enjoy the trail and the experience
  • Steps: Focus on the positive. Trust my training. Know that I belong. I am not an "imposter". I created an amazing playlist with my favorite songs to get me pumped and lift my spirits when I am low. I also dialed in my nutrition and hydration and documented each hour what I need to be eating and drinking to avoid the bonk
3. Finish with my head up!
  • Reasons: I don't want to finish feeling defeated. I want to know I gave it my all and feel proud
  • Steps: Remind myself that I belong. Believe in my training. Know that I have a strong support system.


Clearly there are some general themes here. Aside from the first goal which is focused on a time, the others relate to how I would like to feel mentally during the race. The last goal is especially important to me. When I come in to that finish line, I want to hold my head up high instead of coming in feeling defeated like I did last year. I have no doubt this race is going to challenge me and be really hard at times. If I didn't expect that, I wouldn't be doing this type of race. However, there is a difference between being challenged and learning and growing from that experience versus feeling like a failure. When things get tough, I plan to think back on a lot of the difficult running challenges I've had, such as running in the extreme cold at the Huff50, or the 3:30 am run I completed on no sleep during Ragnar Trail last summer. I know that my friends and family support me no matter what happens. 

Perhaps I am putting some extra pressure on myself with this one, just because I want a new and better memory of a 50k. However, I remind myself that most "firsts" are never that great. And clearly even though mine was horrible, I am coming back for more. If I didn't really think I belonged or could do it, I wouldn't be making this attempt again. Even if my time goal falls away, as long as I am having fun and finishing with a smile, I will call the day a success.

Thank you to everyone that has followed along with me this training cycle. I appreciate the support and I hope to have a great race recap for you next week! I also plan to review the McMillan custom plan as a whole in addition to the supplemental core and strength work I did, so stay tuned!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running