Headed to Hennepin Week 2

Week 2 of 50 mile training went well. It was another base building week, which has been nice as I lost some fitness over the past month of recovery from the GRT 50k. This slow build up back to training has been perfect, and while I am still curious to see how the next 15 weeks will look like, this is another reason why I am happy with my coach's approach to training.

The week started off with a double run on Tuesday. In the evening was our Oiselle Team Flight night, so I ran a few extra miles in the morning to get in the total time that was on my training plan. The horrible heat and humidity broke as we started our run, and by the time we were done the weather had cooled off and it was exactly what I needed after so many terribly hot runs during Week 1.

Thursday was the first Fartlek run of my training plan - 6 x 2 min fartleks at half marathon pace with 1:30 min recovery. This was the longest length of fartleks I have ever completed, and while it was challenging, I enjoyed the workout. Half marathon pace seemed to be about right for what I could hold for 6 repetitions of 2 minutes, and the cool down miles were especially beneficial for giving me time running on tired legs.

Saturday's long run and Sunday's easy run were far different from Week 1 in terms of weather. Saturday's long run was overcast and in the 70's, which made it very easy to run on the higher side of my time range. Sunday was hot, but I headed to a paved trail I haven't run in a while and I enjoyed the change of scenery. There was a lot of nice tree cover which made the heat bearable. My legs were feeling heavy so I made sure to use the R8 before and after each run.



My coach also asked me to color code each workout so we can identify trends in how I felt during the runs. I really like this idea. While I record each week in my Believe Training Journal, this is a really quick way to identify issues that keep coming up that will let my coach know where I am struggling or if the load becomes too much.

Week 3 is looking to be much the same, with a slight increase in the long run as well as my first hill workout. I am looking forward to seeing how many hill workouts I have as my 50 mile race is pretty flat and hill training is less of a concern than it would be for something like the GRT.

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 50-70 min easy run
Wednesday: XT, Sports Massage
Thursday: Fartlek workout
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 90-105 min long run
Sunday: 45-60 min easy run
Total: 22.74 miles

Comments

  1. I'm glad you got some cooler weather last week. It's a bitch out there now. If you're running tomorrow good luck!!!

    I really like the color coding idea. I may have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like the color coding too. Some days the work feels hard and I have to ask myself if I actually do feel good and it's just hard, or if something is actually off. It really helps with identifying how I am actually feeling physically vs mentally.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running