Headed to Hennepin Week 4

Recovery week! It also happens to be the start of the next training phase - the Introductory Phase. My coaches notes are to be patient. My mileage is still low, workouts haven't become too difficult, and it is easy to want to jump ahead and do more. However, just because I know I can do more doesn't mean that I should. To get to the start line healthy and ready, I know I need to trust my coach and plan and get my body ready to where it needs to be.



With Independence Day in the middle of the week it was a strange week, but I had a great time not only running but cheering on some Oiselle IL teammates at a local race. I had no desire to run the race myself, which shows how far I have come from the Heather of several years ago who felt pressured to run every race. I am really good at knowing what motivates me now and inspires me to run, and I had way more fun cheering than if I had run the race.


4 on the 4th
Tuesday's Fartlek run was another really hot day for speedwork, and I skipped my core and strength work after the run because I was so exhausted. I felt really guilty afterwards, but I figured I could give myself a break during recovery week. Thankfully some really beautiful weather showed up at the end of the week, and Saturday's long run was perfect. I hit the trail with some Oiselle IL friends at a trail I haven't run since before the GRT 50k, and I realized how much I missed it. It was hard to slow down in the beginning which I paid for at the end, and I also ran a bit longer than I was scheduled to since I had to start from a different trailhead since the main one was packed with people who were taking advantage of the nice weather. I am so thankful for days and runs like this one as they make training seem more fun than work.

happy trail miles
Sunday I felt a bit stiff and sore from the trail, but I was thankful for the easy miles and glad I was finishing up a solid recovery week feeling ready to take on a 10 mile trail race this coming week. My coach worked with me to schedule this into my training, so I will have a few easy runs this week as a result and I am really glad she understands that this race is important to me since I run it every year.

I should be receiving the next 4 weeks of my training plan from my coach this week as well, and I am both excited and nervous to see what's ahead. I like that I am not getting hung up on runs that are weeks ahead because I don't know what is coming, but the planner in me wants to know and it is driving me crazy!

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Fartlek run
Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: 50-70 min easy run
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 90 min long run
Sunday: 45-60 min easy run
Total: 21.46 miles

Comments

  1. I was once the Dodie that felt compelled to run all the races so I get that. I guess we get smarter as we age right?! I'm just getting caught up on your blog! Look out for more comments!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

Year of Running 2016

Miles vs Time