Headed to Hennepin Week 6

I am in still in the "Introductory" phase of training for the Hennepin Hundred- my first 50 mile race, and Week 6 was a bit of a recovery week after the Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 race last week. My coach advised me to run easy and gave me some options for additional recovery if needed. Recovery was difficult this week, and it was one of the few races that I have really struggled to come back from.

After my usual day of rest on Monday, I felt mostly recovered to resume running again on Tuesday. I had to do a double run since I had a group run in the evening. My first run went well, but I started to feel a lot of tightness in my hamstrings by the end of the run. Additionally, the hip abductor and quad tightness I had experienced after my race was much worse and spreading into my pelvis. I did a little self-diagnosis (which I do not recommend) and it didn't seem to be a strain or pull since I didn't have severe pain and could perform the exercises recommended to determine the cause. I have never had any sort of tightness in the pelvic region before so this was definitely a new one, but after doing some yoga targeting the hip abductors and flexors, I found so much relief. 

Thursday would typically be speedwork, but my coach gave me the option of strides or an easy run based upon my recovery needs. Initially I was going to do the easy run, but I felt much better on Thursday and figured the strides would be fun. While I did enjoy the structured workout, my hamstrings were so tight by the end and in hindsight I should have stuck with the easy running. This is one of my weaknesses as a runner. I am not the fastest, so I overcompensate by working hard when I should take it easy sometimes.

Saturday's long run was one of my better long runs in a while, even though it rained on me for half of the run. I had the trail to myself due to the rain and it was a nice relaxed run. I came home and tried to address some of the inflammation I was still having in my thighs in hopes that it would help me before Sunday's run, and while overall I felt better on Sunday, my inner thighs were still swollen. My legs felt tired and heavy but I still enjoyed the run and wore compression shorts in hopes that it would help. I really wish I was scheduled for a sports massage this week to help with the inflammation, but I have to wait until next week.

#thekindnessrocksproject that I stumbled upon during my long run
This coming week will be an interesting one as I am headed to Vegas and will be doing back to back long runs in the desert. I am excited about this as the humidity lately has been horrible and the dry desert climate will be a great change of pace, but naturally the heat and elevation will be challenging. Still, it will be great to get out and experience some new trails and break out of my usual routine.

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 50-70 min easy run
Wednesday: XT
Thursday: Strides or 50-70 min easy run
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 2-2.5 hour long run
Sunday: 45-60 min easy run
Total: 25.28 miles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

I Will Always Have Running

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review