Headed to Hennepin Week 7

Week 7 of 50 mile training was the last of my "Introductory" phase. From here I move on to the 50 mile specific phase, which will focus on the runs that will prepare me to run the Hennepin Hundred. So far I have really enjoyed how gradual my training has been in terms of adding mileage and speedwork. While at times I see how far others are already running for the Chicago marathon which is the day after the Hennepin Hundred, I also fully trust my coach and the plan. My coach knows what is best for me in the build up to this distance, and I still have 10 weeks of hard work to go.



As I mentioned last week, Week 7 was going to be a little different in that I was traveling to Las Vegas for a long weekend of hiking in Death Valley and Red Rock Canyon. I was able to easily complete the scheduled time as I was out in the desert for hours, but my mileage was on the low side as this flatlander is not in her element with rocks, mountains, elevation, and heat. It was a week to really put time on the feet vs thinking about miles. Nevertheless, it felt great to get out of IL and into a new place to explore. The change of scenery was exactly what I needed to feel refreshed and ready to take on the rest of my training plan.

Red Rock Canyon
My speedwork last week was a 5 minute fartlek repeat which happens to be my least favorite time frame for a fartlek. Even though I only had to complete 3 repeats, the last one felt so difficult. My legs were already fatigued as I had to move around this run to the day after my group run which was another long run, and my legs did not feel fresh. My coach reminded me that sometimes these runs feel better than we expect, and while that wasn't exactly the case, it did prove that I can still generate some fast leg turnover even when I am tired and my legs haven't had much recovery. I still dislike the 5 minute repeats though!

Week 8 is a recovery week that my coach timed nicely with my annual camping trip. While my legs actually feel pretty good for hiking in the mountains,  I am still glad for the recovery week before I jump into the back to back long runs that are ahead of Week 9. Things are starting to get serious, so I'll take all the recovery I can get!

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 75-90 min long run
Wednesday: Fartlek workout
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 60-75 easy run
Saturday: 2-2.5 hour long run
Sunday: Rest
Total: 20.97 miles

Death Valley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

I Will Always Have Running

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review