Headed to Hennepin Week 12

What a difference a recovery week makes. Sometimes the recovery is purely physical, but this week I also felt recovered mentally from the challenges I faced in Week 11. I started the week feeling like I was ran over by a bus and down in the dumps about how my back to back long runs had gone. With a little encouragement from my coach and friends, extra rest and recovery, and some enjoyable runs, I am feeling much more like myself.

Recovery week means no speedwork, so I just had easy and long runs which was a nice change. My coach advised me to run on the lower end of my ranges and take an extra day off if needed. While I didn't find that I needed any extra time off, I did focus on running by feel during Tuesday's easy run. I turned my headphones off, shut off my watch alarms, and just ran. Despite the heat, this type of disconnected run was exactly what I needed to reset myself. I visited the Kindness Rocks Project again and left a rock with kind words that I wanted to pass along to someone else who might be feeling as I do.


I decided to skip the core and strength work this week in favor of yoga, and this was a nice way to give myself some self care. I also had my monthly sports massage and it was exactly what my body needed. I couldn't have timed this better. I tried to really focus on getting myself back to a good space where I am still excited about training and getting to the start line, and when my Team PAWS race day goodies arrived, I was extremely motivated and feeling that excitement again. I don't think it is unnatural at all to hit a low spot in training and to experience doubt, but pulling yourself out is the hard part. I am grateful that I have support and motivation in my life that helps me get out of the funk and move past some challenging runs.



I was hesitant to return to the place of my horrible long run last week, but never underestimate the power of a good friend convincing you to return. We ended up hiking much more than walking due to her ankle injury, but it was exactly what I needed - some easy, fun miles that helped me hit the reset button and get back to a positive mental mindset and remember what this was all about. Despite the rain and thunder, we made the most of our wet miles. I was able to take this positive mindset into Sunday's run and despite the heat and humidity, focused on how beautiful the trail was.



 It's a new month and the beginning of my favorite time of the year, so while I am nervous and anxious about challenges to come, I am also excited to see how the rest of my training plays out. I came out Week 11 a stronger person and that alone makes the challenge worth it.

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 60-80 min easy
Wednesday: XT
Thursday: 75-90 min long run
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 90-120 min long run
Sunday: 40-60 min easy run
Total: 28.38 miles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running