Headed to Hennepin Week 13

It's hard to believe in just 4 weeks at this time, the Hennepin 50 will be over. When I hit the 30 day mark last Thursday, I was both excited and nervous at the same time. But I've had to carefully tuck this away in the back of my mind and keep the focus on where I am at right now, which is finishing Week 13 and looking ahead to my last long training run during Week 14.

Coming off of a wonderful recovery week, I felt much more prepared to continue with my training load. Speedwork this week was a 3 mile tempo run that was both challenging and fun. I focused on my pacing, not starting off too fast, and finishing strong. Despite the horrible heat and humidity, I tried to focus on what was around me and how I was feeling vs the weather. At this point the weather could be anything on race day, and while my hope is for something in the 60 degree range, I know that I have to prepare myself for heat so there are no more excuses for horrible runs.



My long runs this weekend were the best I've had yet. The weather was absolutely perfect, which I contribute 90% to my success in knocking out two solid long runs. I practiced pacing and slowing down to sustain an easy effort to the end, and I found that I was really enjoying my long runs and the time was passing by quickly. Sunday I woke up feeling very tired and sore, and not as recovered as I usually would be. I was pleasantly surprised that about half way through my run I felt great and could kick up my pace a notch and finish strong. As I was running the straight path with leaves swirling around me, I could really envision the finish line of the Hennepin and it was a great visualization exercise in how I want to feel on race day.



I have my longest training run coming up in Week 14 - a 50k. I am running the Evergreen Lake Ultra as a supported training run for a few reasons. The main reason is that I didn't want to have to run 31 miles on the same training route I have been running as I would likely go crazy. I wanted somewhere fresh to run that would make the distance manageable, while having support. It will also be a good test of gear, nutrition, pacing, etc. that I can focus more on in a "race" environment, without having the pressure to race. The idea of a 50k that is not a race still baffles me as I have spent the last year training for 50k races and now it is "just" a training run, but I am really focusing on viewing this as training and not a race. I am going into it without any goals for time or even to get the best out of myself. My goal is really to focus on pacing, nutrition, and mental strength. This is not to say I don't have nerves or anxiety going into it. Not so much from the race aspect, but rather the distance. I know how far 31 miles feels, and while I will be running more than that in less than 4 weeks, I really am both excited and nervous to see how 31 feels now vs when it was a race I was training for. Will I feel better prepared and stronger? Will I notice my endurance is greater? I am nervous I will have a difficult run or that I will not notice greater stamina, and that this will make me even more anxious for the 50 mile race. There is certainly a lot of pressure that I am trying not to put on myself, but that I can't help but mull over. I do hope there are a lot of questions answered after this run.

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: Tempo run
Wednesday: XT
Thursday: 45-60 min easy run
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 14-18 miles long run
Sunday: 90-105 min long run
Total:  36.76 miles

Comments

  1. I've been following along on IG but tonight I sat down and read your weeks 9-13 recaps! I already said this but I channeled you during my 20 mile long run on Sunday because I knew you'd ran 20 plus miles in shitty weather so many times this summer. You continue to inspire me! Good luck this weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and you inspire me! thanks for all of your support.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running