Headed to Hennepin - Race Recap

One week ago I was sitting on my couch watching the Chicago marathon feeling sore but on cloud 9. It is hard to believe after so many weeks of hard training, my first 50 mile race has come and gone. Running 50 miles is pretty life changing, and it is strange to think that while I was doing something major, the rest of the world just kept on turning.

Race week was incredibly stressful and I was worried that this stress would play into how race day would go. My coach recommended that I prepare my drop and crew bags as early as possible in order to have everything set and I could focus on the funeral and family that was coming into town. I am really glad I took her advice as packing my bags was like getting a weight off my chest. The few shakeout runs I had were fantastic in that they allowed me to relieve stress and nerves. Friday arrived quickly and we were on our way to packet pickup. We timed our arrival so that we could attend the safety meeting as Ann Trason was scheduled to speak. Hearing how she was walking 100 miles despite having arthritis was so inspiring and it was a reminder that that we were all blessed to be able to run and have this opportunity to challenge ourselves.

Ann Trason

I was able to find a local Italian place where I could get some pasta for dinner, and then we headed to our hotel which was located about 10 minutes from the 100 and 50 mile start. A huge storm hit as we were driving to the hotel, with lightning that felt like it struck right by our car, and thunder that shook the ground. As I got all my gear ready in the hotel, I was really nervous about the storm and what the weather would be like in the morning. Thankfully I was pretty tired and had no trouble falling asleep, even though I woke up several times due to the storm.

It's happening!

Race morning went smoothly as the drive to the start was quick and easy, and I was thankful that the rain had subsided for the time being. I always find at the start of a race like this that I try not to think about all the miles that lay ahead, and just focus on something shorter, like seeing my husband at the crew exchange in about 3 hours. The race started and we were on our way, and I focused on what was around me, keeping my pace super slow and easy, and the first goal of getting to my husband. During the first few miles we passed over a dam and I noticed a pelican floating in the water. As I crossed over, I saw several pelicans and this made me so happy as I have waited years to finally see the migration. Last year we went in search of them at a local preserve but couldn't find any, so I took this as a good sign the day would go well.

At the start line

My pace the first few miles was a bit faster than I wanted, but I felt like I was running very easy. I took walk breaks early on as I wanted to ward off fatigue as long as I could. I fueled every 30 minutes, and despite the fact that it was cooler and not hot, I made sure I was drinking enough. I ran with a group of people for almost the first 3 hours and I enjoyed getting to know them and learning about their 100 or 50 mile journey. It was pretty hard to not feel good about how the race was going when I was with so many amazing people. The scenery was pretty fantastic as well. Fall foliage was popping up around the canal and while there were sections that had a lot of debris from the storm, the trail itself was very runnable and I felt like the miles were flying by. When I reached the first crew exchange my husband was not there. I was really disappointed, but thankfully this was not an exchange where I needed much other than just his support. I saw him as I started to run away, and warned him that he needed to be on time for the next exchange. I kept this in mind and when I realized I would likely be about an hour earlier than I told him for the next exchange which was a big one at mile 32, I texted him to let him know.

It started to rain around mile 20, but it was a light misting rain and while the towel and other gear in my drop bag at this aid station was irrelevant given the fact I was going to get soaking wet again, it felt good to take a minute to pick up my next set of fuel, take a breath, and be on my way again. The aid station volunteers were fantastic and made the whole drop bag process super simple to ensure I would get my bag again at the finish. I ran into Ann Trason who had started her 100 mile walk earlier, and hearing her tell me how strong I looked really gave me an extra boost. There are not too many people that can say they ran past Ann Trason, so I enjoyed the irony of it. I also passed a woman walking 100 miles in full firefighter gear and I told her she was a badass. People like her inspire me so much, and it is hard not to want to keep pushing on when you know there are others out there doing really hard things.

I started to slow down a bit but was looking forward to the mile 32 aid station where I would see my husband and get to my next drop bag. I came into this station feeling ready to eat something more substantial, and while my husband filled up my pack I was able to eat some solid food, dry off, and lube up! I was excited to get to this aid station as it was the longest distance I had ever run yet, and I was still feeling pretty good. I headed out of the aid station feeling a little tired so I walked a bit and started running again, and I found my energy level picked up and I banged out a solid 6 miles to the next aid station. The mile 38 aid station was one I had looked forward to for a while. Not only was the 50 mile finishers medal based upon this aid station, but we were told at the safety meeting to look for the disco ball at this "no drop" aid station, and that regardless of the state we came in at, we had no choice but to continue on. I almost cried when the saw the bridge and disco ball as I felt so strong and all the fears I had about getting to this point and wanting to stop were instantly gone. I was so proud at the 6 miles I had run to get to this point and I knew I was going to finish this. I changed my clothes as the sun was going to be setting and it was getting cooler. I was still hoping and on track to finish before the sun set, so I headed out of that aid station still flying high and focused on the next 5 miles until I saw my husband.

heading into mile 32 aid station

Mile 43 was a quick exchange as I picked up my headphones, grabbed my headlamp just in case, and on a whim ate a hot grilled cheese sandwich fresh off the grill which was literally the best thing I've ever eaten. I was still hoping to be done before the sun set and I knew it would be close, and for a while the grilled cheese gave me new life. The next time I saw my husband was technically at the finish line, but I had to run past the finish line for about a mile and a half and then back to the finish. I was ready to bang these miles out, but the sun set about a half mile in and it got dark. The miles seemed to stretch on and I started to mentally struggle. I could see the finish line, but it seemed so far away, and staring at a small strip of light from my headlamp was messing with me mentally. I could tell I was very tired at that point, but I gave it my all and ran into that finish as strong as I possibly could. I got my medal, an ultra virgin shirt for my first 50, and then collapsed in a chair stuffing chex mix in my face as that was all that sounded good at the time. I had done it. I ran 50 miles!



I didn't care that I finished after the sun set, or that I started to struggle at the end. I was so freaking proud of myself. I had accomplished something so challenging, yet I rose to the challenge and amazed myself in terms of what I could handle. There have been a lot of races where I have felt like an impostor, or that I didn't belong. In this case I felt like I had a right to be there, that I was just as "good" as others out there. Several people commented on how much I was running, especially at the end, and I was amazed at how my body just kept running even when mentally I wanted to be done. It is such a cool experience to have when you realize what you are capable of. Sure there are other ways to achieve this, but for me, this is why I run these endurance races. I learn so much more about myself and what I can do, and when I head out into the world and face other challenges, I know my worth and what I can truly handle.



The few days after the race were pretty brutal. The exhaustion level that I felt was unlike anything I've ever experienced. It was more than the usual aches and pains that come along with a race. No matter how much sleep I got or how much I ate to recover, I felt so tired. I waited 5 days before attempting a run and the rest and mental break did me a lot of good as I feel like I am ready to enjoy running again.

This experience also made me realize how much I want to run a 50 mile race again, especially the Hennepin. It was such a well organized race with the best volunteers and aid stations. The community was awesome as well, with people coming out of their houses early in the morning to cheer, people on kayaks cowbelling and blowing bubbles encouraging runners; it truly was like one really long party. I took away so much more from such an intimate experience in nature than I ever would have running the Chicago marathon. I knew this year that I would never run Chicago again. The Hennepin was much more "me", and instead of feeling exhausted from people running everywhere and pulling energy from me, I took so much more away from the canal, the friends I made along the way, and pushing myself as far as I could go. This experience also made me realize that perhaps one day I could run 100 miles. If you asked me a few weeks ago if I would ever consider a 100 mile race I would have told you hell no! But now anything seems possible.

Comments

  1. I finally took some time to read through your last few posts. It's crazy that it's already been over a month! I'm so impressed with your grit and determination. Having a less than ideal week leading up to a race can be tough but you seemed to have handled it well. Congratulations on your first 50 miler!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running