What I'm Wearing - Winter Edition

February has arrived and I am still running outside. I have made it this far into winter and after training for a half during most of it, I have just about perfected what to wear. As I did at the end of fall with my Fall Edition post, I am going to share some of my favorite winter running pieces that have kept me warm and dry.


As with fall, layering is really the key to winter running. I am always extremely cold at the start of a run but warm up quickly about a mile in. Knowing this about myself, I tend to dress in layers so that I can vent or shed items. Personally I would wear the items below in temps ranging from 30 degrees and below which is why I have indicated whether the item is "warm", "warmer", and "warmest" depending on whether it is an item I have found just right in more mild temps vs the negative degree runs. As always, I am promoting items that I personally wear and can attest to how they perform. 

Tights/Pants

It is really hard to find warm tights or pants for winter running. Many brands claim to be built to handle cold or extreme weather, but in my opinion have always fallen short. This year I went on the hunt for the best of the best, and actually found success.
  • Warm - Oiselle Classic Lesley Tights: These tights are lined in fleece, which makes them great for windy and cold runs. They feel cozy and soft, and are very flattering. These were my go-to tights for the 2014 and 2015 Naperville Half Marathons that I ran in November.
Lesley Tights
  • Warmer - Salomon Escape Pant: These pants hold up great in cold and windy weather. The insulation panels on the legs hold in heat and block the wind, while also providing ventilation so moisture is not trapped inside. The side pockets are great for holding a phone and other gear, and the half elasticized waist is another nice feature so the pants stay in place while running. While these are not tights and form fitting, the leg cuffs are tight fitting so heat stays in. These do run a tad short, so taller women may want to pair the pants with longer socks. 
  • Warmest - Athleta Powerlift Pant 2.0: Finally, finally, finally, I found a pant that will keep me warm and dry in negative degree temps. These are the pants I wore during the F^3 Lake Half Marathon after testing them out for several months. The fabric is so soft and light, that it seems almost impossible that they could be warm. It almost feels like you are not wearing pants at all, until you get out in the cold and realize how warm your legs are. The high-rise waist is so flattering and provides just the right level of compression that makes this pant a nice cross between a tight and pant. I've worn these in snow, wind, ice, and negative temps, and they truly are the best I have found. 
Base Layer

The base layer that I wear under a jacket is especially key in the winter as it can either act as a light, breathable barrier between your skin and a jacket, or add additional warm on the coldest of days. 
  • Warm - Oiselle Flyte 2000: This is an older style, but one of my favorites. It is a heavier base layer than some of the other thinner layers, but I find that it breathes well under a jacket yet provides some relief from the wind that a thinner layer does not. This is also one of my favorite styles because the arms are not as form fitting as other styles and if you have broad shoulders like I do, you can greatly appreciate the additional length and fabric on the sleeves. The overall length is also nice because it can cover your butt and provide extra warmth there too.
  • Warmer - Oiselle Lux Tops: Unfortunately Oiselle has not made two of my favorite Lux styles in a few years, the Lux funnel neck and Lux side zip, but the Raglan Long sleeve is available and is just as warm as the two older styles. What I liked about the funnel neck and size zip were the higher necklines that would provide additional warmth around the neck. No matter the style, Lux is soft, warm, and cozy, which feels so nice against your body out in the cold. Even when it gets sweaty, it is still breathable and does not weigh you down. 
  • Warmest - Oiselle Wazzie Wool Base Layer: I am not a huge fan of wool as I find it so scratchy, but the wazzie wool is a fabric I can tolerate. While I do find it a little scratchy, it also offers some of the best breathable warmth that a fabric can provide. I wore this layer during the F^3 Lake Half and was really surprised at how warm my upper body was even when I was sweating. The wool is basically water repellent so instead of becoming a soggy wet mess at the end of a race, I was happy that the fabric pulled the moisture away from my skin and dried quickly. I do find the fit to be tight and not as flattering, but I do not wear this top on its own and always under a jacket or another layer. The fabric is also available as a funnel neck, which I mentioned above as a bonus for staying warm, however I personally have not tried this style.
Jacket/Coat

My quest to find warm jackets and coats this year was also successful. As my upper body is usually the coldest part of me, I am always on the hunt for what will keep me warm but will not hinder my movement.
  • Warm - Oiselle Aero Jacket:  I was pleasantly surprised how warm this jacket is. The Nyelle fabric holds up well in the wind and cold, and the zippered high neck keeps your throat warm. The jacket is loose enough to fit a base layer underneath, but fitted to avoid any restricted arm swing. The fabric dries quickly and I love the big pockets. I paired this jacket with the Wazzie Wool for the F^3 Lake Half Marathon and found the combination perfect for windy, 20 degree temps. 
Aero Jacket
  • Warmer - Salomon Escape Jacket: Similar to the pants, this is a warm jacket that is designed specifically to keep body heat in and let moisture out. The jacket itself feels lightweight, but the wind protection is fantastic. The jacket is fitted, so I recommend sizing up if you want to wear heavier layers underneath. The shoulders are also a little tight fitting for someone with broad shoulders, so sizing up should help address this.
  • Warmest - Oiselle Quill Jacket: I will admit I was skeptical about this jacket. While I love Oiselle, I have not found many of the jackets to withstand a Chicago winter. When I received the jacket, it arrived in a box that felt like nothing was inside. I thought, there is no way this jacket is going to be warm. Boy was I wrong. This jacket blocks wind better than anything I've tried, and the down fabric keeps you toasty warm. I have only had to pull this jacket out a few times because I honestly get too warm sometimes as it truly is that awesome at keeping the cold out. I would also recommend sizing up for this jacket to give you room to move and layer underneath. The only complaint I have is that the jacket could be longer. I would love if it would cover my butt, but otherwise this is a must have for winter running.
Quill Jacket with Salomon Momentum beanie
Accessories

  • Hat: My favorite hat this winter has been the Salomon Momentum beanie. This hat is really warm and comfortable, but the reason I love it is because of the slots for your sunglasses. Instead of cramming a hat down over your ears, sunglasses, and bluetooth headphones, you can slide your sunglasses through these holes and it relieves the pressure around your ears that gets painful after a few hours of running.
  • Gaiter: The Oiselle Wazzie Wool gaiter is made of the same fabric as the base layer mentioned above, so it is perfect for keep your neck and face warm while also staying dry. I do find it to run large in that it will not always stay over my mouth, but I love having it around my neck for an additional layer of warmth. 
Wazzie Wool Gaiter
  • Gloves: I have several styles of gloves at my disposal, but the ones I always reach for are the Oiselle Power Stretch Running Gloves. These are the warmest gloves I own, and I find that they stay dry on long runs. They are soft and cozy feeling, and I will admit I often wipe my nose with my gloves and I never have a chapped nose because the fabric is so soft.
  • Socks: On days I need extra warmth for my toes, the Injinji Snow socks are the best. The wool keeps your toes warm while still allowing for your feet to breathe as they warm up and start to sweat. The over-the-calf style is also nice as it provides extra warmth for your lower legs. I wore these during the F^3 Lake Half Marathon and my toes stayed warm and dry for the entire race. Bonus - no blisters!

Running in the winter takes a lot of investigation into what works best to keep you warm and dry. If you are brave enough to stick it out all winter long like me, it pays to put a lot of effort into what you wear to make your runs as enjoyable as they can be. I hope these recommendations are helpful, and I would love to hear what works for you!

Comments

  1. I need the Aero jacket! Also, I didn't know Injinji made snow socks. I need to check these out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loooove the Aero jacket. I will admit that seeing it in Plum makes me want to buy another one, but I do love the blue.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running