Earth Day 50k Race Reflections

I can't believe that it has been 8 days since my 50k! I have recovered pretty quickly considering and feel almost back to my normal self. After 6 days of rest and a wonderful sports massage, I am feeling the itch to get running again. Before I start another training cycle, I really want to reflect on the race in a similar fashion to the Chicago Marathon. I learned a lot from this race, and while there are certainly some hard lessons learned, I also experienced some wonderful moments too.

I am going to preface this with the same warning as my Chicago Marathon post....I am a perfectionist. I am notoriously hard on myself. This in no way means that I am not proud of what I did or that I want any sympathy. I hope that my lessons learned will help others who are attempting this distance, but also for myself. If, and it is a big if still, I ever do another 50k, I want to remember what I would change or do differently.



Proud of:
  • I finished!! I never gave up despite missing the 8 hour cutoff but finished anyways
  • I worked hard to perfect my hydration and nutrition and this really paid off during my training and in the race. I did not become distracted by all the food at the aid station (donut holes!!!) and stuck to what I knew worked
  • I utilized my mental training to help turn negative thoughts into positive ones
  • I balanced starting a new job, becoming a morning runner, and training for my first ultra all at the same time
  • I focused a lot on core work and noticed a substantial difference in my posture at the end of a long run and overall strength
  • I didn't sustain any injuries, despite falling multiple times
  • I did not spend too much time at the aid stations. I only stopped 2 times and only for a few minutes

Disappointments:
  • I didn't have fun. I spent more time racing against the clock or worrying about my time to really enjoy the trail or the race itself
  • Not finishing within the 8 hour time period for the race
  • Letting negative thoughts cloud my mood for too much of the race
  • The course was more technical than I trained for
  • That I didn't enjoy crossing the finish line because I was too focused on whether or not it "counted"

Lessons Learned:
  • You are always stronger than you think! As difficult a race as I had, somehow I had the strength in me to finish. We never give ourselves enough credit, or we are afraid to put ourselves out there and attempt something in which failure is a real possibility. Imagine what we could all do if we just tried without worrying about the outcome. Whether it is an ultra or something else that you have wanted to achieve, do it! Don't let your life pass you by wondering what could have been
  • A looped course can become your worst nightmare. I heard that looped courses are recommended for first time ultra runners, and while I can understand from an aid station perspective that it might be a big positive, this turned into my worst nightmare. I knew what was coming, and would dread certain parts of the course. I would either choose a course that looped less times, such as 2 or 3 at the most, or a course that is not looped
  • Whatever hill training your plan calls for, do more. I never run on a treadmill and thought that my long runs on hilly trails would be enough for this course. I was wrong. In this aspect I was overconfident and did myself a disservice
  • Run on the course if you can. If I had driven the hour or so to the course ahead of the race, I would have been more knowledgeable of what to expect and could have adjusted my training
  • Set yourself up to succeed by choosing a course that is similar to what you train on. I probably should have chosen a flatter race. Sure, any trail race has hills and rough terrain, but for my first race I should have chosen more wisely
  • It is OK to cry and let your emotions out in whatever way feels natural. I turned into a huge crybaby, but I am glad that I expressed myself as after I had my moments, I was able to refocus and get back out there. While you don't want your emotions to rule you, take time to feel what you are feeling, accept it, and move on
  • People are wonderful. It seems like social media makes us all look evil, but people really are great. The support I felt from runners on the course, volunteers, and race organizers was above and beyond anything I have ever experienced in a race. Even more so than the Chicago Marathon. There was not a single person that passed me that did not say "good job", give me a thumbs up, or a "looking good". Spectators along the start/finish made sure to shout encouraging words every loop. Even runners who were not part of the race spoke many encouraging and positive things to me. I can truly understand why I have heard many people comment on how wonderful the ultra running community is, and I felt honored to run with so many amazing people who had awesome stories, encouragement, and ran hard races of their own. It inspired me to be a better person and supporter of those who toe the line.

I will never forget my finish as long as I live. I truly think it is one of the best moments of my life in one of the most difficult situations. I truly thank all of the people who stayed at the finish to clap and welcome me as an ultra finisher. They knew what it meant for me to be able to finish, and no matter the medal or shirt, that is a moment that I will hold with me for a long time. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running