Global Running Day

Today's special post is in honor of Global Running Day. While it may seem like just about every day is a running day for me, there is something to be said about a day to celebrate the sport together.


Oiselle IL Volee celebrating Global Running Day
"Running is ultimately a personal experience. It is a revival of the spirit, a private oasis for the thirsty mind. Yet, its healing power only increases in the presence of others. Run together and the oasis grows cooler and more satisfying." --Amby Burfoot

Team PAWS
The beauty of Global Running day is celebrating with others who love the sport just as much as you do. Most of the time we have to run by ourselves due to work and other life commitments. Sometimes we want to run by ourselves to escape and blow off some stress or just enjoy being out in nature. I am this runner. I am introverted and easily get tired when I am surrounded by people. As much as I love running alone, the truth is that running is always better with others.


I think this is clearest at a race. Hundreds or thousands of people show up and stand with you at the starting line. You find yourself talking to others that you've never met, but somehow you have so much in common with. Other times it is during a race, when you might be struggling, and you find someone else who feels just as you do. It's the runners in the middle of your ultra that tell you that you are doing great and to not give up. The runners that finish the race and stay to support those who are still running. You are never alone, and it makes the experience tolerable and sometimes inspirational. That is the beauty of a "Global" running day. You feel connected to those all around the world. We are brought together by our common love of running.


Other the past year, running has been my therapist when I lost my job. Running was a distraction while I was unemployed. When the thought of running an ultra was a dream floating around in my head, actually running it showed me how strong I am.

Best distraction after a lay-off
Mostly running has taught me that people are amazing, especially those who run. It is easy to become jaded about people. Between what you see on the news and the great divide that happened after the election, you often see the worst in people. Thankfully running has showed me the best in people. Running has introduced me to people that I would never have met if we both didn't love the sport. People who show up and support each other, despite their differences. Runners who dedicate their time and passion for charities they believe in or to volunteer at races as a way to give back. 

Running for animals!
Running definitely deserves to be celebrated today as a sport, but even more so are runners. Thank you to all the runners out there who inspire me, have helped me when I was at my lowest, who have supported me as I keep striving for new goals. I've shared this photo before, but now I'm sharing it for a different reason. Most of the time we share our finish line photos - of ourselves. We never show those on the other side, the people who are cheering us on. While individually each of us do the training and endure the race, the best part is sharing the experience with others who understand the passion, commitment, and happiness that running brings.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running