What I'm Wearing - Snowpocalypse Edition

With the midwest experiencing the Snowpocalypse, I figured it was a good time to post the 2018 edition of What I'm Wearing. People always seem surprised when I say I run outdoors in just about any weather, but it the clothes you are wearing make all the difference between a great run and a miserable one. With the right amount of layers and key pieces, winter running can be enjoyable.
To view 2017's edition, visit here. The pieces I reviewed last winter still remain staples in my winter running wardrobe. I've added a few more pieces to my list this year, having experienced the insanely cold and snowy Huff 50k relay and endured some record low temps. As with other WIW editions, I am promoting items that I actively wear and recommend to others, and my affiliation with some of these brands has nothing to do with my opinions.

Tights/Pants

My struggle to find warm tights/pants continued this winter as weeks of negative temps had me searching for new wardrobe options. 

  • Warm/Warmer - Oiselle Flyout Tights: These tights perform really well in the wind. The material is thick and compressive, with no room for cold air to get through. They are incredibly flattering, and practical with deep side pockets. I wore these during a November trail race and loved how they performed.
Flyout tights with flyout jacket
  • Warmest - Athleta Polartech Power Stretch Tight: Much like the pants I posted last winter, the Polartech material is the best for winter running. The Power Stretch line adds flexibility to the material, so movement is less restrictive with such a thick tight. I love the multiple pockets and zippers the tights have to offer. I find these to be warmest tights I own, and while I do find that there is about a 2 hour limit before the cold seeps in, I think that is probably the case with any tights. 

Base Layer

I find I like lighter base layers when bundling under jackets, as my upper body usually gets warmer than my lower body. 

  • Warm - Oiselle Flyout Long Sleeve : I love the flyout line because the material is weightless, but extremely breathable. For days where I may only be wearing a light-weight coat, this is a great layer to have on. Sweat evaporates, so it is less likely I get chilled when I finish a run, and no one likes running in a soggy, heavy top. 
  • Warmer - Oiselle Homerun Half Zip : Lux is still one of my favorite "warmer" base layers, but since I posted the Lux funnel neck last winter, I wanted to share my other favorite - the Homerun Half Zip. The lux material is so soft and cozy, and I love the higher neck. The back pocket is so functional, and I like that the length on this is not very long. I have found myself wearing this under my hockey jersey when sitting at the ice arena, as it is functional and stylish.
  • Warmest - Oiselle Flyout Insulated Base Layer : Another flyout, but this one combines lux and flyout! The quilted front shields the wind and helps keep your core warm. I have actually found myself sweating while wearing this one, but thankfully the sweat was drawn away from my body and I did not end up a wet mess after a run.

Vest/Jacket/Coat
  • Warm - Oiselle Flyout Vest : Yes, another flyout style, but this vest has become a staple. It is much warmer than other running vests, with the same quilted front as the base layer. This vest shines in the wind, as the tight fit on the body means there is no drag. 
  • Warmer - Oiselle Flyout Jacket : For days when the vest is not enough, enter the flyout jacket! I love this jacket, and it's ability to block the wind while remaining comfortable and breathable. I also wore this during my November trail race, and I felt as if I was wearing a light weight top, while still remaining warm. The pockets are also fantastic, especially for longer runs or races.
  • Warmest - The North Face Thermoball Active Jacket: This is the mother of all jackets! This jacket weighs almost nothing, but is incredibly warm. I love the high neck, and asymmetrical zipper. I often find I don't need to wear a gaiter because the neck itself is high enough to prevent cold air from getting in. I've worn this jacket in an ice storm, to which the water never seeped into the jacket, and during the Huff 50k relay. My hydration vest also fit around it perfectly. I did not feel that I needed to adjust it or felt constricted due to the extra material. I find myself reaching for this jacket for just about any run where it is below 20 degrees and it always performs.
ThermoBall jacket also pairs well with a medal
Accessories
  • Buff Polar Headwear: The fleece on this Buff is awesome, and I have worn this as a gaiter and to cover my head. While I do find that it absorbs sweat and then freezes after long durations of running, I never notice it while I am running. 

Buff as headwear
  • Oiselle Flyte Gaiter: The lux-like material on this gaiter makes it one of my favorites. Not only is it great as a gaiter, but I find that it's great to wrap around your wrist to wipe your nose with and not end up with a chapped nose. This is probably not what Oiselle intended, but it's a completely necessary item for winter running. 
  • Drymax Cold Weather Socks: I love these socks. They are the warmest I have found yet. During the Huff relay when most were complaining about how cold their feet were, I found that my feet were actually warm. After my November trail race, where I experienced really cold toes, I knew I had to search for something better than my Injinji snow socks. These Drymax socks were the answer. They are thick and less breathable than some socks, but you will not experience frostbite wearing these!
Winter running is hard, so anyone who gets outdoors is already a winner, no matter your pace or mileage. Having some key wardrobe staples helps make the weather more bareable, and I hope these recommendations help!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running