GRT 50k Race Recap

On Saturday I ran the Glacier Ridge Trail 50k in Slippery Rock, PA. This was my 2nd 50k to date, and it was by far the most challenging race I've ever run. It also happened to be one of the most fun and awesome experiences and it is a race I will definitely never forget.



In the days leading up to the race, I was reviewing some of the notes from my McMillan coach, with one of them referring to me to an article that her husband wrote for irunfar.com. The article referenced the book Elite Minds, with a quote that particularily stood out to me:

It’s time to challenge yourself to see what you are truly capable of: the possible. You are not being asked to become something you are not; you are simply to become all that you already are.

This quote really paved the way for what was a super strong race. Once I pushed aside all of the doubt, fear, and imposter syndrome feelings I have carried around with me for over a year, I was able to really understand that the training over the past 18 weeks didn't suddenly turn me into an ultramarathoner. I already was one, and one that was capable of handling the challenge.

Below is my race recap, which I have broken down into miles by aid station since that is mentally how I focused on the race. Rather than having to repeat the same loop over and over again like I did last year during the Earth Day 50k, visualizing the race by aid stations really helped break up the race into manageable chunks of time.

Pre-Race

The pre-race packet pickup was the Friday evening before the race. The location of the pickup was at the halfway point of the race, the Jennings Environmental Center. My husband and I actually got lost trying to find the center, as the GPS coordinates took us across the street. Once we finally realized where we had to go, I went into the center and received my bib and some other goodies. The volunteers were super helpful once they realized I was from out of town, providing me with extra tips on getting to the start line and gave my husband maps of the park as well as information for crewing at the aid stations. I checked out some of the trail before we headed out, and was already so inspired (if not slightly scared of the hills!) by the scenery around me.



Race Morning

I had a very early start - 4:15 am ET, which was 3:15 am for me! I always start race morning with my breakfast of oatmeal, peanut butter, and banana and coffee. I had made sure to bring this to my parent's house so I would be eating what was familiar to me and sits well in my stomach. My husband, dog, and I headed out around 5:30 am to the park as runners had to check in prior to the 7 am start.




We arrived at the park and was able to find the start/finish area pretty easily, with ample parking on the grass. We arrived just as the 50 mile race was starting and that was exciting to watch. Once I checked in, I was pleasantly surprised to find that there were actual bathrooms with flushing toilets! This felt like a luxury. About 10 minutes prior to the 50k start there was a race meeting where the staff showed everyone what the course markers looked like and gave us general instructions. It was quite chilly out and once I took my jacket and pants off I was really cold, but knew it was going to warm up fast. Thankfully they started the race right on time and I was off!

Miles 1 - 4.7: Mt Union Road Aid Station

The first mile flew by as it was on a paved bike path that lead into the single track trail. There were a lot of people passing me and I tried to remind myself to run my own race, at my own pace. I always enjoy the feeling of passing these people at the end of the race, so I kept that tucked away in the back of my mind. Once I was on the trail I settled in to a pace that felt slow and easy, but quickly had to stop and walk up a large hill. I was happy to realize that the trail itself was fairly runnable, with few rocks and roots. I could already tell there were muddy spots, and also found myself running over many small footbridges that were basically wood planks held together with no handrails. A few spots required running from rock to rock, which I knew would be hard on the return back. I hit the first aid station almost 5 miles in and didn't stop as I was still fully stocked. This was the only aid station where I would not be able to have my crew, so in the back of my mind I was really working towards the next aid station where I would see my husband and had planned to fill up my water and Nuun.

Miles 4.7 - 10: Rt 528 Aid Station

This section of trail was very challenging. I realized very quickly there were no flats in this race. The hills were lasting over a mile at a time, and while I changed my race strategy quickly to run the downhills faster than I normally would to make up some time, I knew the pace I was hoping to maintain was unreasonable. My motto turned into "What goes up, must come down" as I was feeling some frustration as the climbs up felt like forever. I fell in behind a man using poles and I had never wished for poles more in my life! I asked him if the entire race was this constant uphill and downhill battle, to which he said yes. He told me the middle section was a bit easier, but I knew I had to change my expectations. This is where I realized I just needed to run what the trail was giving me. I couldn't waste energy fighting it. When I had to walk up a steep uphill, I did, and ran when I could. About a mile from the aid station I went through a very rocky section where I fell. I forced myself to slow down and walk rather than allowing myself to keep falling and getting frustrated like I had done in the past. This was the only time I fell. The last bit to the aid station was a steep decline but I could hear the cheers and music blasting from the aid station so I came in strong and saw my crew right away. The aid station volunteers were awesome. Right away I had two men grab my water bottles and start refilling then while helping to dump my Nuun into the bottle. There was a huge assortment of food there but I passed on anything that time around as my fueling plan was working well and I wasn't experiencing any bonks. I gave my husband my sunglasses as I realized I didn't need them. While the sun was definitely out, it was easier to watch my footing and see the trail without them. My knee hurt a bit from when I fell so I used the Squirrel's Nut Butter - Born to Rub pain relief stick on my knee. I realized I had forgotten to grab my Tylenol from my pants that morning, so I told my husband to bring it to the next aid station. I knew the pain from my fall would set in and I wanted to ward this off as long as I could. I also gave my husband new estimated times that I would be in to the next aid station as I was off the plan I had originally gave him. Then I headed on my way, looking forward to what I was told was a better section.

Miles 10 - 15.2: Jennings Environmental Center Aid Station

Getting through this first major aid station gave me a good mental boost, and I continued on this section of the trail with a smile on my face. Overall I did find these miles a bit more runnable. There were still a lot of climbs and descents, but not as steep. This section is also where I was able to see some of the 30k runners on their return back from the next aid station, as well as some of the faster 50k runners. I enjoyed cheering them on and receiving cheers back in return. This section was the muddiest of all sections as it was at lower elevation, and it was also the hottest. There was less shade and I could tell I was heating up. Still, there were moments where a nice breeze would blow through and I would pull my hat off and enjoy it. The aid station arrived quickly from my perspective, and I took some time to refill my water, take my Tylenol, and use my Squirrel's Nut Butter anti-chafe on spots I could tell where chafing due to my extreme sweating in the sun. It also felt good to be at the aid station before the cut-off. I had about an hour and 15 minutes before the cut-off and I felt myself relax as I headed out of the station.


Coming in to Jennings

Miles 15.2 - 21: Rt 528 Aid Station

Rather than turn around right at the aid station, there was a small section that looped around and found the main trail a few miles in. This was a great strategy to avoid congestion. While I was a little disappointed I didn't see as many other runners as I had hoped, I quickly fell in with another woman who had left the aid station around the same time as I. We ran together almost this entire section. The miles seemed to fly by very quickly as we chatted about ourselves and races we have run, and it felt good to have company. This section is also one where I felt the strongest and was in the best mental space. I was able to truly enjoy the beautiful scenery, and once I knew I was close to the aid station I picked up some speed. I saw my husband and dog on top of the hill leading to the road crossing to the aid station, and was so relieved to see them. I was able to fill my bottles up again with the help of the volunteers, use my Squirrel's Nut Butter (everywhere!!), and an amazing volunteer took all of my trash and disposed of it. I grabbed half of a donut which hit the spot, and prepared myself for what I knew would be the most difficult part of the course. Not only because it would be the last time I would see my crew, but I also knew what hills awaited me, this time on legs that had already run 21 miles.


Seeing my dog on top of the hill coming into the aid station

Miles 21 to 26.3: Mt Union Road Aid Station 

Leaving the aid station meant starting at the huge hill I had come down at mile 10 and then right into that rocky section where I had fallen. I told myself to just take it nice and easy, and walk when I had to. I hiked a lot of the steep hills, but kept moving. The storm front was moving in and the wind had picked up which felt heavenly. The miles along the shoreline were some of my favorite, as the sound of the waves lapping the rocks was hypnotic and the wind blowing off the lake felt amazing. I was in a positive mental spot for quite a bit, but the hills were getting to me. Running downhill was hurting the knee that I fell on, so my downhills had slowed a bit. Once I hit the official marathon mark, I did a little celebration dance for the fact that now I was officially in ultra territory. I was still feeling a bit hot so once I realized I was close to the aid station, I sucked down my water, to which the aid station volunteer cheered me on for "power walking like a boss" up that hill. I told her I really needed water! She also assured me it looked like I would finish before the storm rolled in and this got me moving out and onward.

Miles 26.3 to the finish! (which happened to be 33 miles)

This last section was naturally the hardest. There was a lot of mud at this point from everyone who had run through the trail all day and this is where I pretty much destroyed my shoes. A woman had left the aid station around the same time as I, and she kept coming in close, but then would fall back as I would run as hard as I could before the uphills. This gave me motivation to keep running. I got very emotional in these last few miles. I realized I had cried so much in my first ultra because I felt disappointed and wanted it to be over, and now I had tears in my eyes because I was so happy. Even when the hill around mile 31 (where I was finally passed by the woman behind me) nearly broke me going up it, I was still amazed by what my body was doing. My legs were still pushing on. Stopping was never a thought in my mind. I realized then that I am one strong motherfucker and after finishing something so challenging, there is literally no one that can ever make me feel less than or not good enough. One woman passed me and said "Get it girl", and that was all I needed to hear to keep pushing on. I reached the paved bike path and knew I had a mile to go. I ran as hard as I could the last mile, smiling as I read all the funny signs that were stationed to keep you motivated to the end. There were also several volunteers stationed out along the path cheering and it was hard not to keep moving. I turned the corner to the lot where the finish was, saw my mom and husband, and then my dad at the finish line and came in, with a smile on my face. I did it! I received my medal, which in reality is an afterthought as simply finishing and coming out a bit stronger is the real takeaway from the race.




I took some time to hit up the food and the smiley cookie I ate from a local Eat N Park restaurant was literally the best thing I had ever eaten. Once back at the car I enjoyed a nice cold beer and some salty foods which hit the spot after eating so many gels and sweet things over the course of many hours. And I was happy. So freaking happy.




Post Race

Days later, I still have the post race blues a bit. It took me a good 3 days before I felt human again. The hills took their toll on me and walking was a struggle. I am still on a high though after what I accomplished. In looking at my goals, I certainly didn't meet the first one, which was to beat my time from last year. However, I realize now this was a silly goal as this course was nothing like the first race. It was much more challenging, and more challenging than someone coming from the midwest could ever have trained for. This course probably would have broken me last year, yet I beat it. It took me so much longer than I expected, but rather than getting upset about that fact I feel proud that I completed something that was so outside my comfort zone. Rather than being intimidated or feeling like I didn't belong such a tough course, I held my own. I am definitely in awe of the PA trail runners who run these trails weekly. The race was no joke, and it is hard to even explain to someone who hasn't run an ultra or run a trail outside of the midwest what this was like. But it was so beautiful, and I met my other goals of enjoying the course and keeping my head held high when I finished. There were no feelings of shame or disappointment. I came in happy and proud, and I am so pleased I made it through this race without succumbing to the Dark Place. However, the realization came to me during those last few miles that ultimately I needed to have the race that I did during the Earth Day 50k in order to make me the runner I am today. That race taught me a lot, and while it took a lot from me, I don't believe I would have had the success I had at GRT without Earth Day.

Overall I had a great time and loved the course, volunteers, and other runners. I would absolutely recommend this race to others for how well it was managed. The course was marked extremely well, and despite some of the rather dangerous spots and mud, I really liked the various sections of terrain. The staff and volunteers were some of the best I have experienced, and I will always remember how kind and motivating they were.

There you have it. After 18 long weeks, this journey came to an end. I took so much away from this, mostly that I now have the confidence going into 50 mile training for October. After many hard training runs and moments of doubt, I finally believe that I can keep pushing myself further. I am so thankful I had a wonderful race and experience, and that it only confirmed that doing what I love is so much more important than always being good at it. I was the best that I could have been and I don't regret anything.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Running 2016

McMillan Running 50k Plan Review

I Will Always Have Running